My Worst Case Scenario

Buckeyegirl76
on 2/11/17 5:42 am

My WLS worst case scenario has happened. Yesterday was nine days out from surgery and I went to my surgeon for persistent left shoulder pain, this is my only symptom. I have a small leak at the top of the sleeve near the esophagus. It appears to have walled itself off and is not leaking into the abdominal cavity. I have been admitted to the hospital until at least next Tuesday or Wednesday. No food or water by mouth for at least 2 weeks. They feel like it has already started healing itself so the plan is to let it resolve on its own unless I develop a fever or my white blood cell count goes out of whack. Then it would be a stent and/or drain.

I know I'm not the only one to face this but right now I'm mad, sad and scared. I have regret and worry I won't get better. I worry about the extra burden on my family and I'm angry that I did everything to the letter, was considered low risk and this still happened.

i could use some encouragement from any veterans that have been through this.

Sorry for the typos, one handed and drugged.

patchoulli
on 2/11/17 5:57 am - port charlotte, FL

Prayers.  

White Dove
on 2/11/17 7:27 am - Warren, OH

I am sure they told you that this is rare, so you might not hear from anyone who has been through it.  I am glad you are getting medical care and hope you are better soon.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Daile
on 6/19/17 9:28 pm
VSG on 06/02/17

I was sleeved on June 2, 2017. On June 15 I have again suffering and shoulder pain. Call the surgeon and I was told I probably irritated the Vagas nerve. On June 18 I called back again because I could not stand the pain any longer and I was told to meet the surgeon in the ER.

After a few tests it was determined that I too had a leak. Today is June 19 I have a drain I have a pick line and I am told I will not be able to eat or drink for one month.

You're not alone I am in pain, I am terrified and I am thirsty.

DubfromBP
on 2/11/17 7:42 am
VSG on 10/13/15

ARRGGGHHHHH.

Very sorry to hear this.

I was one-handed last week.....and my Southern English is not great......thus my excuse for my poor typing here, lol.

Complications of all sorts.....be they bariatric related or otherwise out of left field......can....and do....get dropped in our laps on occasion.

You chose to have this surgery for very compelling personal reasons and you have goals you want to attain.

It absolutely sucks that you've been burdened like this so quickly.

I am very sorry.

The good news is that you get the benefit of having the surgeon peek around inside and ensure that all is perfect and you are set for kicking butt and taking names.  One last little look under the hood to check your new engine.

Rest up.....heal up......and get ready to bust through all future obstacles.

Live, love and make the most out of what your surgeon has done for you...........live your life without excuses and without regrets.

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/11/17 11:53 am
VSG on 02/01/17

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this!  It sounds as though your body is trying really hard to protect you and heal.  Thank goodness for that.  May your recovery be speedy. You will get through this!  You will get healthier. They have caught it, and now can help you. 

Rachel 

diane S.
on 2/11/17 12:17 pm

So sorry that the one in thousands that has complications had to be you. Sounds like you are getting good care. Hope the time passes quickly for you so this becomes a distant memory and it turns into a good thing.  Try meditating and such to get your mind in a more positive place as anger and fear  and regret won't help your healing. I know, easy for me to say. If there is a pastor at the hospital you might speak to him or her. It helps just to talk. 

I had an easy surgery but my husband had to go back after 6 months and have a hiatal hernia repair and some tightening of his sleeve. He had terrible acid reflux that affected his beautiful singing voice. He had regrets for awhile but is past them. 

Let your friends help you out if they can with your family. You need this time to heal. Best wishes. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

TaraLynne
on 2/11/17 4:38 pm

I am not a veteran but I am a BUCKEYE:P  I am also new to this forum... Just now looking into the gastric sleeve. I hate that you are having problems.. Get Well soon:)

Donna L.
on 2/12/17 7:07 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have not been through it but it is terrifying and hard to get through.  Hang in there, and don't hesitate to reach out for support if you need it.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

breathemusic
on 2/15/17 11:57 am

This happened to me except I was 5 weeks out and had agonizing back pain for 2 days before I finally went to urgent care who sent me back to the hospital where I had surgery.  The leak was discovered.  It was a pin***** tiny leak, my surgeon's first ever leak.  I had to get a drain for the infection and after 5 days in the hospital was released with a PICC line and was not allowed food or drink for another 3-4 weeks and just got my nutrition through the IV.  I was able to go back to work though since the whole set-up went into a backpack that I just kept with me at my desk. On top of that, I didn't lose weight during that time because the IV nutrition was based on a roughly 2,000 calorie diet.

EVEN WITH ALL OF THAT.... I'm so happy with my end results that I'd do it all over again if I'd known from the beginning that it was going to happen!  One thing I will say, is that my surgeon consulted other bariatric surgeons about whether to use a stent or just let it heal naturally and then he talked to me about the options.  He wanted to let it heal naturally and I agreed.  Stents apparently slip frequently which requires another endoscopy to pull it back into place, which sounded horrible.

I don't tell you all of that to scare you, but simply to let you know that right now it feels like your life sucks and why did this happen to you. But in time, you won't even worry about it.  It will be a blip of a thing that happened at one point but then you'll just be so happy with the weight loss that you won't even care!

Most Active
Recent Topics