Ok all..please tell me about your GERD/gas

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/9/17 10:36 pm, edited 2/9/17 10:40 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Hello everyone,

I am 8 days out now.  Since the beginning I have been terrified of developing awful GERD with this surgery. I am on 40 mg of Nexium for a few months as a preventative for now. However, I am having that pain in the chest/heartburn feeling.  It feels like a million burps are trapped in there and it's painful. I can get some burps out, but it still hurt bad enough that I took Mylanta tonight. It's better after that.  I've had similar experiences rarely preop that were heartburn.  My surgeon had no issues with it as it was rare for me and mostly during pregnancy.  So, did any of you have this early on...did it go away?  Were you extra gassy until you settled in to this new life?  Or, if this maybe a sign on GERD to come?  

I am also using gas x in case anyone asks. 

Many thanks for your time as I know a post similar to this was recently posted.  I however, am trying to understand the gas/gerd combo a bit. It's so good to hear the experiences of others!

Rachel 

Lodie
on 2/10/17 6:19 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Rachel, don't be overly concerned at this point. You are so recently post op. Look a few post down and read Donna's reply to someone c/o the same issues. It was very well worded and from my experience accurate. Congrats on the start to your healthy forever lifestyle !

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/10/17 6:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

During surgery, the doctor usually inflates your abdomen with gas so s/he can get in with the tools and perform the procedure. It can sometimes take a while for all that gas to work its way out of your system! "Trapped burps" is EXACTLY what it felt like for me.

The best way to get it out of your system is to walk. Even if you can only shuffle laps around the kitchen, getting moving will help to clear things up.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/10/17 12:14 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Ok. I read the other forum and read both replies here. I think I'm just going to expect the unexpected for a while as my poor body is kind of having a what the heck did you do to me moment. Thanks everyone for your time and advice.

Most Active
Recent Topics