Hospital /PCP visits since Sleeve

Nura777
on 2/9/17 11:10 am

Hey Erin, what's up? Did I touch a nerve. I am pretty sure I was talking about myself. Clearly using the word "I". 

So if it's about me. It's a fair statement. I really don't care why you made this decision.

Erin T.
on 2/9/17 2:21 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

No nerves, I'm just pointing out that no matter where you start there are valid reasons to do the surgery that go beyond the scale. 

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

CC C.
on 2/9/17 12:43 pm

I think your depression over this procedure is lying to you. There is nothing "mere" about being 310 at 5'10". That's a BMI of 44.48 which is obese class III.  If you weren't having health problems yet, they were waiting for you on the road ahead. No one escapes the health effects of obesity. The only variable is how many years you go until they hit you. I made it to 39 before high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, high triglycerides, joint pain, and out of control PCOS took their toll. 

Nura777
on 2/9/17 12:59 pm

Hey Cecily, 

I was depressed and hated myself preop hence this decision l.  I didn't realize how much. Although depressed now I have greater clarity. 

You or I have no idea what my health outcomes were going to be in the future. 

One's BMI is not an absolute indicator of poor health. I had no comorbidities. 

Grim_Traveller
on 2/9/17 5:23 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yeah, we are sure, 100 percent, what your health outcomes were going to be if you didn't have surgery. 

Morbid obesity is a heartless ***** There is no immunity, and no exceptions.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nura777
on 2/9/17 1:26 pm

I just noticed your surgery is coming up. 

I would love to share some thoughts and questions I failed to ask myself honestly. 

Are you willing to commit to blood work every six months/annually for the rest of your life. Are you willing to become an expert in your own health?

o   Messing with your internal organs isn't advised. It shouldn't be your first, second or tenth option. Regardless of what folks are saying, this isn't a tool that your buying from Home Depot. You're drastically altering the makeup of your gastrointestinal tract. You're altering biology and evolution.

Are you willing to accept that there is no absolutely no certainty you won't be the 1% percent with severe complications or the "whatever" percentage that ends up with acid reflux/gerd (**** is no joke) and rely on PPIs long-term that in turn have their own serious complications?

Are you prepared to accept these risks even if they interfere with your ability to work, and ear ore even the quality and length of your life? 

Are you willing to accept that even though you tear away a healthy part of your body your not immune to regain?

Best wishes. You still have time to escape! No time machine needed lol. 

CC C.
on 2/9/17 1:37 pm

I wish you all the best, Nura, but I'm blocking you.  Your posts have been akin to trolling - suggesting people who have this surgery are "mutilating" themselves, telling me and others we should back out days before surgery, and sowing negativity and seeds of doubt everywhere you go about a surgery which EVERYONE on this site either has had or wants. I have done my research and I don't expect it to be easy, a quick fix, or filled with puppies and rainbows. To suggest I haven't given my surgery is in 13 days is insulting.

I hope you get help for your depression and I'm very sorry your pre-op psych evaluation didn't pick up that mentally you weren't a good candidate for this at this point in your life.  But try working on yourself instead of spreading negativity all over everyone else with every post.

No need to reply. I won't see it.

Gwen M.
on 2/9/17 1:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think this is a wise and healthy decision on your part, Cecily.  

Nura has been fear-mongering pretty hardcore since she's started posting here.  It's disappointing that it seems like her team has completely let her down and that she, perhaps, didn't do her homework prior, but that's no reason to **** on everyone else who HAS done their homework and made their decisions with full awareness of the risks.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/9/17 2:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On February 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM Pacific Time, Nura777 wrote:

I just noticed your surgery is coming up. 

I would love to share some thoughts and questions I failed to ask myself honestly. 

Are you willing to commit to blood work every six months/annually for the rest of your life. Are you willing to become an expert in your own health?

o   Messing with your internal organs isn't advised. It shouldn't be your first, second or tenth option. Regardless of what folks are saying, this isn't a tool that your buying from Home Depot. You're drastically altering the makeup of your gastrointestinal tract. You're altering biology and evolution.

Are you willing to accept that there is no absolutely no certainty you won't be the 1% percent with severe complications or the "whatever" percentage that ends up with acid reflux/gerd (**** is no joke) and rely on PPIs long-term that in turn have their own serious complications?

Are you prepared to accept these risks even if they interfere with your ability to work, and ear ore even the quality and length of your life? 

Are you willing to accept that even though you tear away a healthy part of your body your not immune to regain?

Best wishes. You still have time to escape! No time machine needed lol. 

Actually, "messing with your internal organs" IS advised by medical experts if you want the best chance at maintaining a healthy weight in the long term. There's a LOT of scientific research out there to back it up.

The fact that I wear glasses means I'm "altering biology and evolution" that decided I should have terrible eyesight. Nobody gives me **** for that, why would my decision to have WLS be any different?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Grim_Traveller
on 2/9/17 5:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On February 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM Pacific Time, Nura777 wrote:

Congratulations on your success. I say this without malice. Your journey stands a billion miles apart from mine. My highest was a mere 310 pounds at 5'10. In all reality, I didn't need this procedure as a life savin measure. It was all vanity. 

I'm not sure what your motivation for surgery was. But you absolutely, positively needed this as a life saving procedure. You were already well into morbid obesity, and your odds of getting to a healthy weight were about the same as winning Powerball. You would have added health problems and comorbidities over time like Ms Pacman running through her maze.

Morbidly obese. Google morbid if you need to.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics