Post-Op results with PCOS and Diabetes?

rachel_lynn
on 2/8/17 12:00 pm

Hello!

I'm new to this site, and I'm just starting this journey (hopefully) aside from a few hiccups in my insurance. (my insurance will not approve weight loss surgery, for any reason -- even if the doctor recommends it, but I may be getting new insurance here shortly) So I'm still doing my research and hoping to have all my ducks in a row...

Anyways...

I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago and started taking Metformin for it back in somewhere around 2010. I've been back and forth with my weight since then, but last summer I was diagnosed with Diabetes as well. I'm taking a quite high dose of insulin each night, 1000mg of Metformin twice a day, Invokana 600mg once a day, and a few medications for high blood pressure and they threw in a cholesterol pill for good measure. lol

Has anyone had the VSG that also was diagnosed with PCOS and Diabetes? I'm curious what the results were post-op, and if the weight loss helped with the PCOS and things like unwanted hair growth. Or, if it was harder to lose weight after surgery-- just because PCOS makes it harder?

Did the diabetes go away for you? Almost?

Help ease my mind some. I'm afraid that I will go through work of getting the insurance situated, having the surgery, and then not really seeing much results. I know and understand that everyone's situations are different... I guess I'm just looking to have someone to relate to and understand what I'm going through... TIA!

Kathy S.
on 2/8/17 12:37 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi rachel_lynn  

Welcome to OH....there is a thread on the main forum and there are a few members posting they know of or have PCOS.  Reach out to them and perhaps they can help.

Here is the link:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6016654/My-Big-Fat-Fa bulous-Life-Spoiler-Alert-Take-2/

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

rachel_lynn
on 2/8/17 1:27 pm

Thank you!

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 1:41 pm, edited 2/8/17 5:43 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had diabetes pre-op.  When I had surgery my A1C was still higher (it was 11 years ago, and I got it down to about 6.5% pre-op through diet alone - meds never seemed to help much and I refused insulin).  The day of surgery my fasting blood sugar was 180.  The day after it was in the 70's (79 I think).  Now it varies between 75-85 fasting wise.  A1C was 4.8% 1-2 months ago, and total cholesterol was 159ish, though pre-op it was in the 90's for a while.  Probably went up because I'm losing weight again.

I don't have PCOS but I've had 12 pound ovarian cysts before.  No issues since surgery.  I also follow a low carb diet, which is very good for type 2 diabetes and PCOS.  I typically eat 75g of carbs or less a day (usually 20-30g most days).  Complete resolution of all metabolic disease, other than still being overweight and having joint issues.  We're working on it. :)

We actually get the metabolic changes bypass and DS patients do, just to a less profound degree.  I think it's easier for us to eat carbs without side effects on average though, which also makes us less likely to resolve our comorbidities as quickly.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

White Dove
on 2/8/17 2:55 pm - Warren, OH

The best answer I have seen is that the quicker you have surgery after being diagnosed with diabetes, the better your chances are that it will go into remission.

The longer you are on insulin the harder it is to go into remission. 

There is no guarantee of remission but it is the best available solution now.  DS has the highest remission statistics at 95%.  RNY at about 75% and VSG at 50%.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rachel_lynn
on 2/8/17 4:50 pm

Thank you ladies for your responses, I appreciate it! I've been trying to do some research on the best option and what will come after I decide to get the surgery (and figure out the insurance issues) 

rachel_lynn
on 2/9/17 5:33 am

Thank you! 

animallover1247
on 2/9/17 12:22 pm

I did not have PCOS before surgery but I did have diabetes. I was on two insulins (fast and slow acting) and that was five shots a day. I was also another injectiable medication for diabetes. I am one year post op and after nine months I was off my insulin. I only take Glucophage once a day and one other diabetes medication once a week.  Yes, I am still on meds but it is less and I'm not on insulin anymore. Bypass has more of a cure rate for diabetes but I didn't want bypass. I'm also off of all my blood pressure meds (2 meds, 4 pills a day). No more sleep apnea. No more cholesterol medication either.  I still have 45 lbs left to lose so hopefully I can eventually go off all the meds. 

rachel_lynn
on 2/10/17 7:29 am

If you don't mind me asking -- what made you decide to go with VSG over the bypass? I did read that the bypass was the better option in helping with the diabetes, but I personally am afraid to go that route due to losing TOO much weight. I'm currently at 240lbs, but I've always been a bit 'bigger.' Even as a youth, I was more curvy than overweight. (I personally think that I 'carry my weight well' so to say) I'm afraid if I get the bypass option, that I would look too thin (or sickly) and I feel bypass is more invasive than VSG.

I'm currently not taking any insulin, but my doctor stopped the lantus last week due to the large amount I was taking and it didn't seem like the numbers were budging. Due to the PCOS and insulin resistance, he fears that my body is rejecting the insulin and not using it anyway -- but research says with PCOS weight loss will help reduce the resistance as well. He started me on a new injectable that I only take once a week in hopes of it activating my body to do what it's supposed to.

I appreciate your feedback!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/10/17 9:39 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's darn near impossible to lose "too much weight" with surgery. If you feel you're going too low, you simply eat a bit more.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics