VSG surgery by Dr. Gagner

Donna L.
on 2/7/17 10:15 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Dr. Gagner is one of the more famous bariatric surgeons.  Here's a partial video of a sleeve gastrectomy procedure in case you were curious.  It's made by Ethicon (they sell laparoscopic tools).

Obviously NSFW since, organs, and also possibly NSFL (not safe for lunch) depending on whether or not you like such things.  Very interesting to watch though! 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Nura777
on 2/8/17 12:30 am

He's my surgeon. Famous does not necessarily equate to the best care. He's quite profit orientated and is now doing the Stretta therapy in Quebec for sleevers with severe acid reflux. Isn't that hysterical? 

Donna L.
on 2/8/17 9:43 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It doesn't - you are absolutely right.  The video I posted more for a clearly illustrated review of sleeve surgical techniques rather than to advertise Gagner.  

I think how most doctors treat acid reflux is hysterical, so...I'm not surprised his might be lackluster.

As for Stretta, it has been studied for some time. I have mixed feelings about it.  I have not read any research regarding it for bariatric patients.  It's been my observation that many of us WLS peeps as well as people with typical anatomy get GERD due to consumption habits which compound the sleeve issues.  We are all also on PPIs and in many cases GERD is also caused by low acid.  Additionally, surgical technique varies, and if the sleeve is too small or stapled a certain way it can also predispose one to GERD.  This is why I would argue you want a surgeon who is an experienced general surgeon, rather than just a "bariatric surgeon," as they have a broader tool set than people who only do bariatrics.  They also, in my experience, tend to be more conservative surgically, which means fewer unnecessary procedures are done - of course, that varies widely by physician!

My surgeon was a highly skilled general surgeon.  I love my surgeon so much.  I am always very upset when I see people who haven't had similar experiences.  I'm sorry you had a very bad experience with Gagner, Nura.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Nura777
on 2/8/17 9:48 am

It's all too late for me. I thought a highly experienced bariatric expert would be best. But I was clearly wrong. I would give soul to go back in time. But unfortunately I hear that's not an option l. 

Aavenger
on 10/10/17 8:37 pm - Mount pearl, Canada
VSG on 11/15/17

How did your surgery go I am booking with him next month.You are the first negative

sounding review I have found,Really interested in your experience and your general overall opinion.Thanks in advance

jalingra
on 1/28/18 12:03 am - Cobble Hill, BC

Did you end up getting the surgery? How did it go?

jalingra
on 1/28/18 12:02 am - Cobble Hill, BC

Hi Nura,

I am considering him. Can you tell me more about your experience?

Valerie G.
on 2/9/17 7:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dr. Gagner has a lot of respect with the DS community for many, many years.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics