How many oz should I eat?

Cathy H.
on 2/7/17 10:04 am
VSG on 10/31/16

This is exactly why I ignored what they told me.  Do you know how much salad is in 8 oz?  lol

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Donna L.
on 2/7/17 7:15 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

We were told to go with volume, too.  It's because it's very easy to overeat and damage the sleeve.  The staple line is strong, but once it scars and swelling goes down it becomes far more study. 

If you can't meet your protein requirements you can mix unflavored whey protein into each food, too.  Very easy to do on purees.  In my case, 2 ounces of pureed chicken easily fit in 1/4 a cup and it's like 17g of protein on its own.  I also ate 4-5 times a day until I was further out.

Don't rely on "knowing."  Until the habits are built go strictly by the numbers.  Don't rely on restriction, either, because it is not what most people imagine post-op.  

Right now I wouldn't worry about having an actual meal in the conventional sense.  Meals at specific times are more of a social construct, anyway.  I had basically 4-5 small bowls of puree/yogurt/cottage cheese/etc throughout the day.  Zero issues getting protein in - in fact, I was routinely over.

It becomes much easier when re-framed mentally.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics