8 years out VSG and total Thyroidectomy

Dina G.
on 2/5/17 10:50 am - Long Beach, CA

I am 8 years since surgery and wanted to check in... I used this sight constantly the first couple years for support and knowledge. I started journey at 278 and today I maintain in the 190's. I have gained a total of 40 pounds back over my lowest I beleive was 159.. I am 5'7 and a woman without a Thyroid so I say I've done excellent. I will continue to work on losing. I still eat smaller portions.. I still do not drink and eat at the same time and I will still get sick if I over indulge. Greatful for my journey and I wish you all the best of luck in yours.

Nura777
on 2/5/17 10:52 am

Thanks for checking in Gina! I love hearing from folks several years out. 

Have you had any acid reflux issues over the years?

Dina G.
on 2/5/17 10:57 am, edited 2/5/17 2:57 am - Long Beach, CA

Yes! I get it occasionally but probably depends on food type.. it has been on and off issue. If I eat to much then definitely bad.

Elisabethb
on 2/9/17 5:46 am - Atlanta, GA
I have pretty severe acid reflux. I must take nexium daily- if I even go a couple hours past every 24 hours- its not a good situation.

That is the only real side effect I have had and I am 10 years out almost. I am going to go see someone about it later this month and hope I can figure something else out. No regrets though.
Reached onderland on March 13, 2008!!!!!
Nura777
on 2/9/17 6:18 am

Sorry to hear it Elisabeth. I wish we connected before I had my sleeve done. I am amazed by the fact you feel no sense of remorse or regret. You're a strong person, cause the consequences of uncontrolled acid reflux is serious. 

But you're quite blessed to have it controlled by nexium. There are folks who need to revise to gastric bypass. That's a painful decision to make cause revisions are very dangerous. 

Did you begin to have it immediately post op, or did gradually worsen? Have done annual scopes to check for Barrets Esophagus? 

Elisabethb
on 2/27/17 10:40 am - Atlanta, GA
I haven't had a scope in several years and know that is not good- I have one scheduled for next month though.

I actually am not sure if it was the sleeve or my gallbladder. When I look back through my records it appears the reflux didn't start until after my gallbladder which was at almost a year out of my sleeve. So it is hard to say which surgery was the cause.

GERD definitely is dangerous but nothing about my life pre sleeve was safe. I was only 19 and had it not been for the sleeve- I have no clue what my life would be like today had I not had it.
diane S.
on 2/5/17 11:32 am

Good for You Dina! Must not be easy with the thyroid thing. Good to know your sleeve is still on the job. I am 7 plus years and mine is still on the job too. Glad you are doing well and pleased with your journey. Contentment is so important.   Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Dina G.
on 2/5/17 11:38 am - Long Beach, CA

Yes .. Thank you and congrats to your journey also!

Elisabethb
on 2/9/17 5:48 am - Atlanta, GA
Happy to see someone far out as I am. I will be 10 years out in August.

You are doing great! I am about the same as you re how life is today with restriction and over indugling.

My lowest weight was 170 and I regained up to 205. I am now 190 and hopefully on my way back down to 170.

Good luck getting your pounds off also!
Dina G.
on 2/9/17 8:25 am - Long Beach, CA

Good job .. and yes the struggle is still real! Lol but I will take it.. Thank you and good luck to you also!

Most Active
Recent Topics