(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 9:47 pm, edited 12/18/18 11:11 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I

Sai F.
on 1/31/17 10:49 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

:(

I had one comorbidity, and it was high blood pressure (that's been controlled for years), and they ok'd me. Have you tried going to a bariatric surgeon to see if they can put in a case for you?

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Gwen M.
on 2/1/17 5:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

At some point, you have to prioritize YOU and your health.  It's easy to put everything else before your own self, and we're told we're selfish if we do otherwise, but just because you have no comorbidities now does not mean that this state will last forever.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KittyKarin
on 2/1/17 5:54 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there!  I'm sorry you're feeling down about your situation.  We all have our priorities and you have to do what is best for your family and your health.  I don't know how old you are but if you don't have co-morbidities or mobility issues, you aren't relegated to 4 or 5 years of being unhappy and yo-yo dieting.  I understand exactly how you feel and that you think that you have to either be on or off a diet BUT you don't have to.  Surgery was a great tool and for me, it was the right decision but you can still be healthy and enjoy your life before you are in a position to get surgery.  I had to do a lot of work outside of the surgery and I even started to gain a lot of weight back before I actually put in the work to change my head and not just my stomach. 

I would suggest to NOT go on any crazy strict diets or strict exercise regimens.  Start incorporating more healthy foods and do exercise that you actually enjoy even if it is just an easy walk.  Try to figure out what your food issues are and think about what you feel like the surgery will give you and what things it will not.  Surgery doesn't change your mind or your emotions with food.  If you can use this time to try to face your food issues and work on loving yourself and tackling any issue with binge eating or emotional eating that you may have, you will be way ahead of the game when you are in a position to get surgery. 

Good luck, honey! Be kind to yourself. :-) 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/17 6:31 am
VSG on 10/11/16

It is a hard decision.  No one can really tell what the future holds.  Will you develop a comorbidity if you delay?  If you go with surgery, will you have a place to live?   

Have you spent any time on changing your diet?  I do not mean "dieting" per se, but rather just counting calories and adjusting what you eat.  In the four months prior to surgery, I dropped 67 lbs just by cutting my calories down and getting most (not all) of the bad stuff out of my life.  It may be that you can "have your cake and eat it too", so to speak.  

Notaboutperfect
on 2/1/17 7:09 am
VSG on 11/08/16

Those are some really great things you have to prioritize (house, kid, WLS). I agree that it isn't anything someone can advise you on specifically. 

My only input, as a self payer, is to make sure you "shop around".  The cost of surgery varies greatly from state to state, and in Mexico, if you are comfortable with that option.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well!

Readyjwc
on 2/1/17 10:36 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Hi there:

The hardest thing for a woman to do is put herself first. You have to put yourself as a priority at some point or the people you love won't have you here to enjoy the house etc. YOU are justification enough! That being said, if you are not in a stable financial situation to do it now, then it has to be put off. Plus, if you have to put it off - have your last child during this time. Then, your body will be your own for the surgery.

Talk it over with your significant other and see what your finances are now and expected to be in a few years with raises etc. Also, I recommend you read Dave Ramsey's "Money Makeover" book. It will help you with those student loans and other expenses.

Good luck,

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/2/17 3:32 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

If WLS is covered under your insurance, it might be worth consulting with a weight loss center. You may have co-morbidities that you are unaware of (such as sleep apnea - I had it but didn't know). 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Readyjwc
on 2/3/17 2:40 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I had it too and I didn't know it either.  Great suggestion Liz! She should get a sleep study done.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Most Active
Recent Topics