Staple line swelling and inflammation 22 months out

hockeygal27
on 1/31/17 8:10 pm
VSG on 03/11/15

Since this past December, I have been having terrible pain after eating. At first, I thought it was a stomach bug because a lot of people I knew were getting it in my area. I had nothing but diarrhea for 2 weeks, even with chicken noodle soup, and anytime I would eat, I was in pain within minutes. In some instances, the pain went straight through to my back. The pain is almost comparable to kidney stone pain or when my gall bladder stopped working (I had that out a few years prior to the VSG since it was barely functioning).

Earlier this month, I finally got in to see a gastroenterologist who got me in for an upper endoscopy. He found that the staple line was inflamed and swollen. He biopsied several areas which only showed inflammation, thankfully.

Being that I am 2 years out this upcoming March, has anyone had any issues with inflammation beyond the recovery period of the VSG staple line? 

As a note, I had a very tough week out of surgery. I stayed an extra day because of how much pain I was in and I couldn't even eat Jell-o or sip water those first couple of days because it caused so much pain. The post-surgery upper GI showed no leaks otherwise.

I also hate spicy foods and avoid dairy as much as possible since I feel full and sometimes nauseous after eating/drinking it. Nothing has changed in my diet at all.

cmp067
on 1/31/17 11:18 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this! I've never heard of this problem before, especially so far out. Please keep us posted and be well! 

White Dove
on 2/1/17 3:15 am - Warren, OH

I started reading this board in 2003 and never saw anything like this before.  I hope they are treating the inflammation and that you are feeling better.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 2/1/17 5:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Very strange!  I wonder if your body could be having an issue with the material the staples are made from? Have you talked to your surgeon?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

hockeygal27
on 2/1/17 5:32 am
VSG on 03/11/15

The only thing we are working with right now is Prilosec to help "heal" the stomach lining. I'm taking it up to 2 times a day. My annual followup is next month with the surgeon so he is keeping updated with the gastro 

Most Active
Recent Topics