Tell me everything

fromfattohealthy
on 1/31/17 10:29 am - Canada

Hi Everyone,

I don't normally post in here, but I wanted some guidance.

Firstly, I am Canadian - to get VSG covered is very difficult and must be "medically necessary" - at this time I meet those requirements, but have not met the surgeon, so I have to wait for that and approval (surgeon is the one who decides).

I have been slowly losing weight and I am hovering around 219lbs (I am ONLY 5'0) BMI of 42.

I work out with a trainer and have changed my eating habits completely. 

My goal weight would mean that I have about 90lbs to lose, but according to every resource my ideal weight is about 100lbs away.

Did anyone start with that much to lose? How long did it take to get to your goal weight?

what was recovery like? How many weeks did you take off work?

Anything else I should know? 

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Joshua H.
on 1/31/17 11:01 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I started out needing to lose 54% of my bodyweight (I'm 5'15") -- looks like you need to lose about 46% of yours.  So, percent (and raw number wise) I started out further down the well.

I haven't got to goal weight, but I'm just over 3 months out -- I've lost 50% of my excess weight since I started the process (seminar with surgeon).

Recovery for me was pretty easy -- I was on my feet the evening of the surgery, discharged 3 days later (minimum stay for my surgeon).  I took 13 work days off.  

Anything else to know: listen to your surgeon, ask questions of them until you are not confused by anything, bring chapstick to the hospital.

Height: 6'3" -- HW: 451 -- SW: 393

SBMI: 54.9 -- CBMI: 39.9 (SMO MO VO O OW NW)

Seminar Weight (7/6/16): 437 

PS: -44.0 - M1: -36.0 - M2: -21.0 0 M3: -13.0

mmsmom
on 1/31/17 12:36 pm - Woburn, MA

Sounds like we are a similar size.  I am 5'0" tall and after removal of my lapband probably weight about 210.  I can't remember exactly, but I had surgery in April and by November the doctor was happy with my weight, which was about 133.  I got down to 125 by Feb and lower after that.  I'm sitting at about 133 again now and want to get back to at least 125.  I took off 2 weeks of work.  It wasn't bad for me at all.  I rarely feel hunger and never did at the beginning.  Best decision I ever made.

VSG on 04/28/2014

fromfattohealthy
on 1/31/17 2:00 pm - Canada

Wow. That is very motivating and encouraging! Thank you!!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

reree6898
on 1/31/17 2:58 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am a bit taller then you at just under 5'5" but my weight on surgery day was 319. I am 16 months out from my VSG and currently weigh 145-150. I have reached a normal body fat % and am very happy and healthy. I'd like to lose about ten more pounds. 

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

jachristmas
on 1/31/17 3:23 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I am just shy of 5'2" and my highest weight was 348..day of surgery I weighed 286. I am 7 weeks post op and down to 272. I was allowed 4 weeks off from work because I had some unused vacation time but felt like I could have gone back after 2 weeks. It's great that you are working with a trainer and have changes your eating habits. You are off to a great start! Good luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 4:05 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Pain is different for everyone. Our sizes are much different, I am 5'8 and on surgery day weighed 461. Waking up from surgery was very painful, but the pain faded later in the night and I went home the next day. After my first initial day home, I had almost no pain. A little discomfort while drinking, but other than that I was on my feet, walking around like normal. I was amazed at how little my pain was.

Notaboutperfect
on 2/1/17 7:39 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I am 5'6" My highest weight was 260, surgery day I was 239, and am currently 205.  (Feb 8th is my 3 month surgeversary)  My dream goal is to get to 140, which would be a 120lb loss.  I say it's a dream because I can't imagine how that would feel because I've been overweight for so long.  I'm hoping to average about 10lb loss per month, but will be satisfied if its slower, as long as I'm losing!

I took 3 weeks off of work, but probably should have taken 4.  I have a physical job, and it was pretty exhausting.  The first couple of days after surgery were the hardest physically.  My pain wasn't bad after day two, but trying to drink and remembering to walk were a challenge.  It is so strange to have trouble just drinking water....I used to binge eat, so the reality of the restriction was a surprise. 

The next two months were mostly recovery and learning how to listen to my new stomach.  I had a couple of instances of eating too fast or too much which made me throw up or simply miserable for a bit.  It's super important to follow your post op diet instructions.

I had the three week stall... almost everyone seems to "stall" around three weeks.  So be aware of that.  I weigh myself almost every day, but only record my monthly weight.  I seem to lose quickly for a couple of weeks, then stop for one (or two?).  I'm not sure if it's a pattern or not because it's only been three months.

At this point I've noticed I don't get sick or the slimes as much, not sure if that's my sleeve relaxing, or if I'm just better at this. I've also noticed that I'm waning a little.....little bites of stuff here and there, so I've re-committed myself to tracking everything (I use an app called baritastic, which I like a lot, but my fitness pal is great too).

I hope that helps!  Good luck in getting approval!!

Barbsleeved
on 2/1/17 12:45 pm
VSG on 08/22/14

I started at 235 and ended up at 143 at my lowest, so 92 pounds. I'm sitting at 90 pounds lost for well over a year now at 145. It did take me a bit longer than some. I'm a little on the older side at 47 (at the time) and truly had an issue just eating enough to lose. I hit 150 at my year mark, and it took me an addition 3 or 4 months to lose 7 more. But my skin looks pretty darn good with the slower loss 

Don't get discouraged if it takes a while. You'll still get there, and that's all that matters!

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

Most Active
Recent Topics