Lack of support from spouse.

cmp067
on 1/31/17 4:35 pm, edited 1/31/17 8:35 am
VSG on 03/23/12

Thanks MaryGee! I hope you get back your strength and resolve and continue on your journey. :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 3:59 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I'm not sure why you needed him to hide them? Do you have BID and cannot control yourself, or was it just an uncomfortable temptation? To me, I do not expect anyone around me to change the way they eat, shop, or how the kitchen it stocked. It is up to me only to be in charge of what I put in my body. My will power will hopefully help me through. I also don't really believe in completely cutting out everything I would want to eat, just eat less of it than I ever would before and treat certain things like a treat. Already I am exercising more than I did before surgery and I am only a few weeks out.

cmp067
on 1/31/17 4:33 pm, edited 1/31/17 8:33 am
VSG on 03/23/12

Needed him to hide them because I am a life long binge eater/food addict who is in a vulnerable state as I am not able to consume anything but liquids and mushies - they are mushy and I felt they were just too much of a temptation as I haven't really eaten in 4 weeks. If I lived alone or had a choice, they never would have made their way into my house. Also, if I could eat a normal meal and felt full, I might not be as tempted. They were 90 calories per bite, all sugar and fat, and not something I wanted to indulge in. I would have preferred they never made their way home in the first place. But since they were there, I don't think asking him to put them out of sight so I didn't have to see them every time I opened the fridge is too much to ask for.

You wouldn't leave an open bottle of vodka in front of a newly recovering alcoholic, would you? Sure, eventually the alcoholic needs to learn how to be in that situation, but not when they are vulnerable and in the early stages of recovery.

But yes, I do realize that ultimately it's on me, I must take ownership, and should have just thrown them into the trash or something. My "vent" here was that I just wish he understood more. I'm glad lots of the responses were very kind, it was exactly what I needed and I am very thankful to the OH posters for lifting me up when I need it. :)

CC C.
on 1/31/17 4:54 pm

"Help me not see them" is very different than telling someone "don't bring them in the house." I think that's a reasonable request! Especially when you are so new to this and vulnerable.

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/17 5:37 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I hope you didn't see me as coming off rude! Sometimes I am not great with showing intent behind my typing, I was just naturally curious about why you had the request. Sorry if it came off as catty!

cmp067
on 1/31/17 6:32 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

No worries, I appreciate your feedback! :)

AggieMae
on 2/2/17 11:08 pm
VSG on 10/25/16
On January 31, 2017 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time, mershmellow wrote:

I'm not sure why you needed him to hide them? Do you have BID and cannot control yourself, or was it just an uncomfortable temptation? To me, I do not expect anyone around me to change the way they eat, shop, or how the kitchen it stocked. It is up to me only to be in charge of what I put in my body. My will power will hopefully help me through. I also don't really believe in completely cutting out everything I would want to eat, just eat less of it than I ever would before and treat certain things like a treat. Already I am exercising more than I did before surgery and I am only a few weeks out.

I commend your determination, but... the for me newness and the  resolve that came with it faded after 2 months. While I manage very well in restaurants and at work, I can't have carbohydrate dense food that is ready to eat or easy to prepare in the house.

Anxiety is my biggest trigger, and I have been a mental case since the inauguration. I'm not hungry at all, but I open the refrigerator every few hours and stare into it for a bit... nothing but chicken cubes, tuna salad, yogurt, avocado, salsa and cottage cheese... I sigh and go find something else to do to lower my anxiety. 

Cheese cake bites? Like that fat Austin Powers villain says, "Get in my belly!"

I started working on my eating disorder 10 months before my surgery (10/25/17) I'm still working to change my relationship with food but, for now, I need my home environment to keep me safe from myself.

cmp067
on 2/3/17 6:17 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

Thanks AngieMae, well said and exactly my point. :)

nolden0576
on 1/31/17 6:03 pm - Rigby, ID

Yes i had the exact same shallow treatment from my husband  (Ex husband, almost 10 yrs ago)  at the time.  What it is,  they are afraid men will find you attractive and will leave them in your dust.  Divorced is extremely common for is who have gone through this life changing procedure!  Two days after my RNY  my ex husband sent more to the pizza hut down the street to pick up 3 pizzas he ordered!! How insensitive could he possibly be!  He laughed the whole night,  making fun of me because i was starving and my fault because i went through with it.  That's why he's in far distant past and doesn't deserve me!  He's still hating life because I'm gorgeous now and know it!  I'm confident, sassy, strong and can get any man i choose. Because i know my worth! Funny enough,  he know sees that i was blind and he could never be with me!! I finally have the real me back and nobody can ever take that away!! You love yourself and forget him!  Because sugar, he will soon realize you are too far out of his league and he can keep dreaming!  Haha 

cmp067
on 1/31/17 6:33 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

So glad to see you got your mojo back mama! ;)

Most Active
Recent Topics