Alcohol

diane S.
on 1/29/17 10:15 am

I wouldn't worry about a little alcohol in cooking sauces. Worry more about whatever else is in the sauces. Also, I consumed no alcohol during my weight loss phase. I remember going to a wedding and worrying about what I was going to drink when they had toasts.  After reaching goal I do drink wine, but there are calories lurking there too so be moderate.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/17 10:46 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I forgot to mention, the worst recipes for cooking with alcohol start out with, "Pour one pint sherry into cook..."  

Lipsticklady
on 1/29/17 11:48 am
VSG on 05/14/13

My kids have always eaten foods I cooked with alcohol.  (You can't have good chili without adding a can of beer!) I haven't gotten one drunked up yet!

As long as you are conscious of portion size and nutritional content, I think you should be fine.  I mean, really...  how much are you actually ingesting?

What's for supper?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

happyteacher
on 1/29/17 1:57 pm

You should be good. Just be warned that if you are using alcohol in a pressure cooker recipe, the alcohol will not cook off. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Vegbeth
on 1/29/17 3:43 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks for all the answers. I have in the past used alcohol in fat free sauce/stews because it carries the flavor of spices similar to what oil does but 1/4 cup of red wine has a LOT less calories than oil. 

Valerie G.
on 1/31/17 3:04 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I don't see a problem with cooking with it, but don't plan any libations until next xmas

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AggieMae
on 2/3/17 6:36 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I don't think I would waste thecalories/carbs. 

Kelly Jean
on 2/4/17 4:55 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I'm almost 3 years out so I cook with alcohol all the time wine beer and whiskey...  That being said...  I have maintained my 110lbs weight loss and stayed at a size 4 so for me it hasn't been an issue..  I wouldn't however do it during my honeymoon phase of wls.. That's for sure....  

Most Active
Recent Topics