Talk to me about Protein Coffee!

shelterdog64
on 1/25/17 10:00 pm
VSG on 06/21/16

I use Genepro, one scoop is 30 grams of protein, according to the company.  Now 10 people will refute the Genepro claims, and I'm not going to debate about it, but I will tell you that it mixes beautifully and I can't detect it in anything I add it to :)

rachelp
on 1/26/17 8:39 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Yeah, I bought Genepro thinking I found a miracle. I won't debate it either but just know that you really shouldn't recommend it. We don't have normal stomachs so we are not absorbing 30g of protein even if it says it absorbs 3x better. We don't have the surface area of a normal stomach. This can be dangerous to recommend if you are counting this as 30g of your daily protein.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

shelterdog64
on 1/26/17 8:56 am
VSG on 06/21/16

I didn't recommend it, I answered a question.  I deliberately DIDN'T say which protein I use until asked, and even when asked, I mentioned that some take issue with it.  

BUT, fwiw, protein isn't absorbed in your stomach, it's absorbed in your small intestine.  I'm a VSG, my small intestine is intact, so I have no issues absorbing protein.  

Coppergirl
on 1/25/17 12:26 pm

I guess I am not as creative :-). My recipe is much more boring.

I rotate a chocolate Premier shake or a chocolate Muscle Milk 32 each day. I have a super big coffee mug. I put half of the shake in a cup of coffee in the morning and 1/2 in a cup of decaf mid morning. I don't use any other cream or sugar.

I am a huge chocolate coffee fan. I used to achieve the taste by mixing a hot chocolate packet into my coffee. So, this is a healthier alternative.

I have also tried the sugar free protein hot chocolate packets. They do well but I feel like I have to have more coffee to get the same protein.

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

happyteacher
on 1/27/17 3:24 am

My first variation of protein coffee actually used the high protein hot chocolate packets. That worked well, but was pricey!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/17 3:53 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I'm a redneck. I admit it, and I am even proud of it.  I love coffee.  I drink it every day, and the caffeine is not a problem.  I tried mixing some Genepro into my coffee, and it was okay, but not great.  Then I discovered Click protein espresso.  Some of you may look down your noses at it, but for me, it tastes good, is fast and easy, and gives me the jolt I look forward to.  I suspect that when the hot weather comes, I will be drinking it over ice.  

shelterdog64
on 1/25/17 6:50 pm
VSG on 06/21/16

I love Click coffees on ice, but they could NEVER replace my morning cup...I'm a total snob about the quality of my one, perfect cup when I first wake up!  I have a high-end fully automatic espresso maker;  he's an Italian guy with a huge ego and a fragile disposition, but when I treat him right, he takes VERY good care of me ;-)  And I can't even tell that I'd added the Genepro to mine, which just shows how different we all are in our tastes.  Bill, what is the protein you use?  I know you've mentioned it but I can't recall...I know you like it a lot and I'm always open to new stuff!

Rachel B.
on 1/25/17 8:19 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I have a stovetop espresso percolator & I use Lavazza Espresso Bar coffee.  So yummy.  Good espresso must be done right! 

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 5:56 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 26, 2017 at 2:50 AM Pacific Time, shelterdog64 wrote:

I love Click coffees on ice, but they could NEVER replace my morning cup...I'm a total snob about the quality of my one, perfect cup when I first wake up!  I have a high-end fully automatic espresso maker;  he's an Italian guy with a huge ego and a fragile disposition, but when I treat him right, he takes VERY good care of me ;-)  And I can't even tell that I'd added the Genepro to mine, which just shows how different we all are in our tastes.  Bill, what is the protein you use?  I know you've mentioned it but I can't recall...I know you like it a lot and I'm always open to new stuff!

I'm using Gold Standard for shakes.  I am drinking less and less of them, but not because I don't like them.  Their main function now is for something right after working out, or if I am a little short and need something easy to make up my protein.  

I like Click in the morning if I am in a hurry.  I can drink just about any coffee as long as it is not weak.  Weak coffee is even worse than lite beer, and I don't drink that either.  I didn't even drink it BEFORE surgery!  

I have a little bit of Genepro left, and I have been questioning their "science".  I've had some extended conversations with a person who is involved in the same kind of stuff they are doing, so it might not be anything more than poor wording on their part, but I am still doing some research.  

I even have some Quest bars left for dire emergency, but they are being replaced by nuts and beef jerky.  And if I have enough time to plan, I will pack a small bag of lunch meat and sliced cheese for travel.  

shelterdog64
on 1/26/17 6:45 am
VSG on 06/21/16

Thanks!  I have some bars in a drawer, too...there are times it's just easier to shove one in my handbag and take the 'what to do about lunch' off my plate (har har).  I'm glad to have moved beyond the time when I practically lived on them...we went to Disneyland when I was around 4 months post-op and the combo of travel and being dragged around a theme park sent my digestive system into a tailspin.  Thank God I had protein bars and beef jerky with me, but it took a while to get back to 'new normal' and having those bars saved me.

Most Active
Recent Topics