Surgery on the 1st and need to travel for funeral

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 1/25/17 6:54 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Hello everyone,

I could use some help and encouragement right now. I am on my pre-op diet that consists of two protein shakes and a 350 calorie meal. I am doing well on it, however, my grandfather died the other day and I need to fly out of state. I'm exceptionally worried about staying on the diet considering I'm spending good portions of my two days flying. My family that I will be with is all obese and will certainly be burying emotions with food.  I am devastated about my grandfather, but know his pain is over and he is in a better place now.  I could use all the help and advice and encouragement that all of you have to offer to ensure that I stay on track so that I have a healthy surgery. I'm going to pack protein shakes so that I have them and I am thinking if I am traveling during a meal time when I can't have a protein shake that I will eat a protein bar for my one meal. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Rachel 

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/17 7:26 am
VSG on 10/11/16

I am sorry for your loss.  This has got to be a trying time, what with the pre-op stress and all, to have the death of your grandfather and travel and such all coming into play.  It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what to do for your meals.  The hard part regarding that will be interacting with the rest of your family, and part of that depends on how much they know and how supportive they are going to be.  

One other thing I would suggest is to make sure you pack some Immodium in your bag.  I do not know anything about you beyond what I just read in your OP, but if your system is anything like mine, travel alone is enough to induce "problems".  When you add in the fiber and artificial sugars found in many protein bars, it can go from problem to disaster of epic proportions, and you really don't need that.  This might not be the best way to solve the issue in normal life and prep, but this situation may call for drastic measures to help get you through it.  You can always readjust your system once you are home.  

pr31
on 1/25/17 7:35 am

I don't really have advice because at 57 years old I have never flown, but I am truly sorry for your loss.  Hopefully others will have better suggestions for you.  Be strong and don't fall into the comfort food trap.  I know food is the center of any of my family gatherings, including funerals.  Keep your eye on the prize.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

shelterdog64
on 1/25/17 8:38 am
VSG on 06/21/16

I'm sorry about your grandfather's death.  Emotional upheaval has a way of setting us back in all other areas, so good on you for anticipating it and preparing yourself.

I'm big on creating scenarios in my mind and then 'wargaming', if you will.  You've done some of that, in planning to pack shakes, planning for eating on the plane, etc.  I think you could also plan exactly what you'll do at the gatherings with your family.

Do they know you're having the surgery or is this something you'd like to keep private?  If they know, then maybe let them all know how important the diet is and how badly you don't want this time spent celebrating your grandfather's life to be a detriment to your future success.  I like to try to enlist any allies that are available to me, so if you have a sibling or cousin who could be of help, talk to them about your diet and how you need support.  

And for your OWN head, I'd tell myself that the best way to honor my grandfather would be to stay on the road to a healthier and longer life...don't be derailed because of his death, use it to double down and do this whole thing well.  Good luck and safe travels.

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/17 9:10 am - CA

Rachel, I am truly sorry for your loss.   This is a difficult time for you, having to focus on staying on your pre-op diet as well as having to travel and cope with the loss of your Grandfather.   

I can offer you some ideas of things you could do ahead to pack with you and eat while traveling.  I used to travel a lot and I always packed some zip lock baggies with snacks that were high in protein, so I could steer clear of the airline options.   

• Cheese Crips - take string cheese, spray a plate with pam or some other low cal cooking spray.  Cut the string cheese in to dime size pieces and place on the plate   Put them in the microwave for 1 minute to crisp up.   (I usually use 1-2 string cheese for one packet of cheese snacks.)   Remove the cheese crisp from the plate, place in bowl and sprinkle with pepper.   After they are cooled, place in zip lock baggie.  
  • Turkey Pepperoni Crisps - Take your turkey pepperoni and place them on a plate that is microwave safe.  Microwave for 30-60 seconds, depending on how crispy you want them.   Seal in zip lock baggie.  

The above will keep for a few days, so will be good for your travel days.   I would stay away from protein bars if possible.   The above suggestions are better options and more satisfying than a protein bar.   Continue to use your shakes as you can and water at all other times.   Others might chime in with what they have used when traveling, but these two were my GO TO when I traveled and it was a good source of protein and low carb.  

Once you get to your families place, focus on choosing the right options to stick to your pre-op diet.   The desire to stress eat or eat our grief could arise and if you can make better choices, you will stay on track.   Stay away from any carbs, those will only promote hunger and more eating.  

Good luck,

Nik 

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/17 9:40 am
VSG on 10/31/16

So sorry for the loss of your grandfather.  Thinking of you.  The other people offered great suggestions.  Was beef jerky mentioned? High protein!!  Lorissa's Kitchen, gluten free, no preservatives, no added msg, 11 grams of protein per serving. I brought a couple of bags along on a recent trip.

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 1/25/17 10:23 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Wow everyone thanks for the great suggestions and support! I love the cheese crisps pepperoni and jerky ideas. I think those are a much better replacement than protein bars so I will make those today before I hop on the plane.

My immediate family knows about the surgery so I have already enlisted their support in making sure food is not shoved at me and people understand why I'me not eating the funeral food.

This site is such an excellent resource I'm so glad that I found it.

Most Active
Recent Topics