Stepping out in public

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 5:40 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 26, 2017 at 12:27 AM Pacific Time, Oxford Comma Kate, Hag wrote:

I was really delighted when someone told me I looked really healthy. I thought that was actually a pretty good compliment. After all, I had been busting my butt to improve my health.

I've had a few dumbass comments, but as Grim said, most really glad for us but lack the radar for what is and isn't appropriate. Once people get used to the new you, the comments stop.

You mean the praise and adulation is going to stop someday!?! 

Readyjwc
on 1/26/17 3:06 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Wow and neat!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 5:40 am
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM Pacific Time, Readyjwc wrote:

Wow and neat!

Thank you!

Hiraeth
on 1/26/17 10:25 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Love your woodwork! At first, when I was wondering what you were doing at a club, I truly assumed you were a comedian who is popular in your town.

It's easy to sneer at people who make certain comments. Before my weight loss, I had six people (SIX) ask if I was pregnant. Who does that?! Like, do you have any tact? I said, "No, I'm just fat." The looks of embarrassment on their faces were priceless. The reason they thought that is because I hold about 80% of my weight in my abdominal region. I do not have a large butt or large legs. But still, why would you ask someone if they're pregnant? I wasn't even wearing maternity clothes.

I don't mind when people ask if I feel better. I just say, "Yes! I really do!" But I can see why a comment like that would be a bit rude. Like, "What? Are you insinuating that I looked miserable before?"

Congrats on your weight loss, LittleBill! Very proud of you!

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 4:25 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 26, 2017 at 6:25 PM Pacific Time, Hiraeth wrote:

Love your woodwork! At first, when I was wondering what you were doing at a club, I truly assumed you were a comedian who is popular in your town.

It's easy to sneer at people who make certain comments. Before my weight loss, I had six people (SIX) ask if I was pregnant. Who does that?! Like, do you have any tact? I said, "No, I'm just fat." The looks of embarrassment on their faces were priceless. The reason they thought that is because I hold about 80% of my weight in my abdominal region. I do not have a large butt or large legs. But still, why would you ask someone if they're pregnant? I wasn't even wearing maternity clothes.

I don't mind when people ask if I feel better. I just say, "Yes! I really do!" But I can see why a comment like that would be a bit rude. Like, "What? Are you insinuating that I looked miserable before?"

Congrats on your weight loss, LittleBill! Very proud of you!

I have been told at a number of my demos that I should do stand up comedy. It is great work. They pay me to make things on the lathe and tell stories. Here is a picture from a demo I did a couple weeks ago. I am about the same weight I am now. 

Lisa.17
on 1/27/17 12:03 am
VSG on 01/05/17

You look fantastic! I started out at a little over 400lbs (5'10"), been heavy all my life and sadly realized I've become resigned to ever being halfway 'normal' again. Not anymore. I'm marveling at the progress you've made. Very well done. That said, your wood pieces are stunning. Thanks for sharing! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 1:13 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 27, 2017 at 8:03 AM Pacific Time, Lisa.17 wrote:

You look fantastic! I started out at a little over 400lbs (5'10"), been heavy all my life and sadly realized I've become resigned to ever being halfway 'normal' again. Not anymore. I'm marveling at the progress you've made. Very well done. That said, your wood pieces are stunning. Thanks for sharing! 

Thank you for your kind words.  I am getting into territory that if not uncharted, has not been visited in many, many years.  In about 25 more pounds, I will be at the same weight I was 25 years ago.  I am glad you like my work, too.  

Hiraeth
on 1/27/17 6:35 am
VSG on 08/04/16

You really should do stand up! I'd love to watch!

WOW! You look fantastic, and very happy. I'm so glad.

I'd love to purchase a piece of yours eventually, and I'd like it to have LittleBill carved on the bottom.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/17 1:12 pm
VSG on 10/11/16
On January 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Pacific Time, Hiraeth wrote:

You really should do stand up! I'd love to watch!

WOW! You look fantastic, and very happy. I'm so glad.

I'd love to purchase a piece of yours eventually, and I'd like it to have LittleBill carved on the bottom.

Thank you, and I can customize the bottom just about any way you want.  I make small pieces that are not so expensive, too.  As for the stand up, it sort of happens from time to time.  It just doesn't happen when people expect it.  I did a presentation one time to almost 200 people who were pretty much prepared to be bored out of their skulls, as that is what often happens when people like me are asked to do these things.  They are often a litany of all the awards and prizes the person has won over the years.

I showed up with my power point presentation, and told the story of all the machines I had used, along with pictures, and stories of how things had gone hideously wrong so many times over the years. I finished up with some actual pictures of my work and another picture of a log split in half that has a very unusual figure in it.  They were rolling on the floor, hanging over their seats, and slapping one another on the back by the time I was done.  A number of them told me it was the best presentation they had ever seen at that group.  

Hiraeth
on 1/27/17 2:35 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

That would be great! :D

LOL I bet! XD I wish I had been there to see that.

Most Active
Recent Topics