How to get over missing part of your stomach!

hollykim
on 1/19/17 11:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 19, 2017 at 5:56 PM Pacific Time, jayla21 wrote:

Im not emotionally attached...its just irreplaceable. I cant get a new one or a replacement...unless there is research I have not done. A tooth can be replaced, the pp talked about filing a nail which can grow back. Again, these thoughts are coming form someone who over analyzes EVERYTHING, ha. :)

but you are still going to have one. It is just smaller. Would you be fretting over the inside of a rotten tooth? 

Your stomach is " rotten" it is too big and is causing problems.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/17 1:27 pm
jayla21
on 1/20/17 5:17 pm

Yes, this is probably my biggest concern right now. I had a healthy pregnancy and gave birth 6 months ago. I gained the recommended amount and it melted off after..so thankful!BUT, I dont want to jeopardize anything. I would already be considered high risk next time around because of my age..I will be 35 next month. Many friends think I really should wait to do this until after I have my final baby, but they are not living in my body and have no idea what I experience with being overweight day to day. I felt great during my pregnancy and really miss it. I wish I could find more research regarding WLS and pregnancy to help me with this important decision.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/19/17 3:01 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I totally get the I can't grow a new stomach part of your post. When I was first looking into wls I was totally in a don't touch my stomach type place. I had all my original parts & didn't want to lose any, but as I did more research & a little more introspection I decided there were some parts I can let go. 

Having my whole stomach led to achy joints, diabetes & a slew of other health problems along with the possibility of living a shorter more miserable life. Thinking about that led me to a let it go frame of mind. 

They took a good chunk of my stomach & I don't miss it. Do I have days where I wished I could eat more, sure, but what I got in return was worth more than anything I could eat in a meal.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sai F.
on 1/19/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

One of the most common fears is the opposite of your question. Most are worried that they will stretch it back out, and I'm one of them hehe. So, for me, never had to get over missing part of my stomach. 

I did think about the lifestyle change because I have to eat out at restaurants all the time due to job, meetings... Etc. but I'm so thankful that smaller portions make me feel satisfied. In the very beginning, before my WLS, I remember meeting with thin people, and felt envious of the small portions they would eat, but now I'm one of them.  

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

McLassie
on 1/19/17 10:55 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

Yes! I'm at six months and my sleeve is starting to mature. I'm already thinking that my sleeve is too big and wishing they would've made it smaller. They used a 40 bougie and no oversew so I probably do have a bit of a big sleeve. 

I used to get so mad at my one friend who was always "full" after having a small meal. She makes "full" grunting noises and everything. I would eat a normal meal and still feel hungry and she would expect me to be like, "Oh yeah, I'm so full too!" and secretly I was like, "I can't wait to go home and have more food." But now I can almost compete with her in feeling full after a small amount of food. Almost. 

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 9:17 am

Don't fret your sleeve size. I also have a sleeve in the 40s and loosely sewn. Add to that my 6'2'' and I have more capacity than the average poster here. Even with all that, it is plenty of restriction 5 years out. That restriction totally depends on not eating sliders of course, but even if I had the smallest sleeve possible if I wanted to eat around the sleeve I could. I LOVE having this size :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

McLassie
on 1/26/17 3:13 pm
VSG on 07/25/16

Thanks for that! I do love my sleeve and realize I could eat ice cream all day every day and gain all my weight back and then some no matter the size of my sleeve. I definitely notice more restriction with dense protein than slider foods, and I am so grateful to have this tool that will last forever. 

Nura777
on 1/20/17 3:44 pm

I am struggling with severe anxiety and depression postop and this what I struggle with the feeling that I have removed a part of me unnecessarily when it's really the mind that leads to overeating. The feeling of being broken and fear over long term issues are unreal. I have never experienced anxiety or depression of this nature before and therapy is helping. Your concerns are very valid, this us a very significant decision and once you make it...you can never go back. You have to be ready to accept the fact that you have no guarantees that you will not face health issues, are you strong enough to face them? What are your real reasons to do this, do you have significant comorbidities that impact your health or not? 

There's a great instagram account called kassandrachronicles that I wish I read before my surgery. She has a series of questions to ask yourself preop that are amazing!

jayla21
on 1/20/17 5:22 pm

Im 35, but have been over weight since probably second grade. I feel like my body is just getting so tired. While i recently had a baby and a healthy pregnancy, I definitely feel the effects of my weight after the pregnancy. I was also diagnosed with very mild sleep apnea last month and I think thats what is pushing me to do all my research now. Other than being overweight, I am fairly "healthy" as some may say.

Most Active
Recent Topics