How to get over missing part of your stomach!

happyteacher
on 1/21/17 8:13 am

I agree with almost all of what the above post said from VSGAnn. The part where she wrote that "about half of those who have WLS regain at least half of their lost weight" is inaccurate. First, I would gently suggest to look at the stats for VSG given that is what you are considering and not lump all WLS together. Why? The DS has better stats and longterm results, but with greater trade offs. The lapband has awful stats. Given you are looking at VSG just look at your VSG stats and compare those stats to the stats of the other surgeries.

The VSG stats indicate that the average person will regain 5% of what they lost. So, if you lose 100 pounds then your regain would be 5. Of course, that is the "average" person meaning that some will lose and stay well below their goal EWL or regain more. Personally, I have been hovering 15 pounds below my goal weight for a few years now, so I would balance out the person who hovers around a 20 pound regain to get that "average" person.

Do some of us experience regain? Absolutely. Do we all? Absolutely not. Do we all regain even 20%? Nope. And the one thing that becomes very clear is that the regainers show patterns early out from surgery that is predictive of the later regain. For example, denial, continuing to regularly eat junk food/sugary food, not tracking, drinking alcohol, etc. Those of us that get to goal and stay there also show predictive patterns although this is not to say we are "perfect" and never vary from plan. Our predictive patterns tend to be weighing and tracking, monitoring nutrients ( getting in protein, not overdoing carbs/avoiding simple carbs, avoid junk food/fast food/sugar, log daily, etc.) and we are very consistent with this. (My personal goal is to be consistent at least 90% of the time.)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Gwen M.
on 1/19/17 4:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is an interesting question and I honestly don't know - it never crossed my mind to be bothered by it?  

But you know what else is irreversible?  Dying young due to poor health, abandoning those you love, having crippling debt from healthcare if you're "lucky" enough to live in the US.  I've never seen my stomach so losing part of it to avoid all these other things seems like a minor thing.  (I'm not trying to diminish your concerns - they're valid simply because they're yours.)  

You are right though - what good is having more children if you're not around to see them grow?  It seems like there's a greater chance you won't be if you DON'T have the surgery than if you do.  

And... as for for as social activity... you'll find other things to do when traveling and hanging out with friends :)  I still love both of those activities, they just don't center around food anymore.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lipsticklady
on 1/19/17 6:15 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I don't miss my missing stomach any more than I miss the lemon sized brain tumor they took out of my noggin 6 years ago.  Both were slowly killing me, so I simply took care of them before they took care of me.  

I enjoy my girls' nights out even more.  I still have wine, and I love sushi.  I just drink a little less and eat sashimi. I still travel and I still sample foods.  The change?  I sample, I don't gorge myself.

My new normal is 5-6 mini meals per day.  I eat a few ounces, I am happy and satisfied and because I eat so little, I don't feel guilty eating better quality foods like shrimp, crab and fancy cheeses.

As a mom, wife, business owner, taking this step was the exact opposite of selfish in my opinion.  I can play with my kids, we practice martial arts together and we do mud runs twice yearly.  I am a better wife because I have more energy (wink wink).  My business is prospering because I can move better, longer, and focus more on matters at hand rather than sucking in my gut.

I wish I had made this decision sooner but I am so glad I did it!  It's given me my life back and it's given ME back to my family.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

jayla21
on 1/19/17 9:49 am

This is what I needed to hear! Thank you!

Rachel B.
on 1/19/17 6:24 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Everyone has answered great. 

Me, I had my surgeon take a pic of mine after he took it out.  It's in my photos on here.  If I were ever to miss it, I could go back and look at it.  I just giggle when I see it!!!!  You're welcome to look at it if you wish.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/members/khepera/photos/339903/#ph otoviewer

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/19/17 6:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

The thing that reassured me most about losing part of my stomach is that the VSG can technically be converted to an RNY in the case of "catastrophic failure." You're not completely hosed if something happens to your remaining stomach! It's rare, but my surgeon said he's handled a couple of cases like that, which was reassuring.

I had surgery at age 31. I knew I wanted to have a baby, but my health was in no shape to get pregnant or care for a baby. I had surgery, lost 140 lb, and proceeded to have a very healthy pregnancy and a wonderful baby boy. Now I have the energy and ability to crawl all over with him and I'm so grateful to have my health for him!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

jayla21
on 1/19/17 9:53 am

I wish the pregnancy board here was more active...how long did you wait until deciding to get pregnant? (Im 35 and just had a baby 6 months ago) I know there are recommendations and "guid lines" but all my research is all over the place. And it seems many women throw those guid lines out the window!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/19/17 9:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon recommends waiting at least 1 year post-op to get pregnant. Some doctors suggest 18 months, but things have usually settled down enough by the one-year mark to be OK.

You'll see plenty of accidental pregnancies before the one-year mark, rather than people getting pregnant on purpose! Our fertility often jumps dramatically as we lose a lot of weight, and it's actually recommended to be on two forms of BC if possible because the risk of a "surprise" can be so high.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 1/19/17 9:04 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 19, 2017 at 1:58 AM Pacific Time, jayla21 wrote:

I went to a seminar last night to learn about different weight loss options and what my local weight loss center has to offer when it comes to the different types of surgery. I went in with a very open mind and a thought that maybe this is just too extreme for me. I left feeling the opposite...even setting up my first appointment to get the ball rolling. While weight loss surgery was in the back of my mind for many years, I never thought I would consider it. I had a baby 6 months ago and the thought of developing health problems and not being around for her now terrify me. There are a few things that I cant seem to get over though...

How did you get yourself comfortable with the fact that you are removing a piece of your stomach...FOREVER! I know this sounds weird, but it really kind of freaks me out that this is not reversible. Not that I want it to me, but I would be lying if I was not scared about an entire lifestyle change. I enjoy my nights out with girl friends eating sushi and drinking wine...traveling to exotic destinations and sampling foods. Is this truly the end of all of this, or is it really all moderation eventually?

Im a new mom (at 34 years old) and I definitely want to have another child. BUT, I feel that I need to take this time to work on myself so that I can be around for my new baby. The thought of having to wait 18 months freaks me out too, more so due to my age. I never pursued surgery options before because I knew I wanted children. I fear making this is decision is being selfish in a way. I have had a few friends tell me to wait until after we finish building our family first...and I am so conflicted when it comes to this. I want more children, but what good is that if I am not around to see them grow.

Anyone been in a similar situation...in the midst of starting their family, but realizing that their health is getting out of control and its time to focus on fixing that first?

I will probably be asking a lot of questions of the next week as I prepare to start this process, and make it to my first appointment.

so you get a cavity and you go for a filling. Dentist drill out the part that is bad and fills it. That part of your tooth is gone, do you miss it? 

Are you maybe emotionally attatched to your stomach?

jayla21
on 1/19/17 9:56 am

Im not emotionally attached...its just irreplaceable. I cant get a new one or a replacement...unless there is research I have not done. A tooth can be replaced, the pp talked about filing a nail which can grow back. Again, these thoughts are coming form someone who over analyzes EVERYTHING, ha. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics