Lunch Ideas/meals on the go for a Newbie

pmeador
on 1/16/17 11:03 am
VSG on 12/21/16

Hello everyone!  

New poster here, long time lurker.  I am almost 4 weeks post op (12/21/16) and I find myself a little nervous about returning to work/school/life and planning meals on the go.  I should be starting real food on Wednesday and I just don't know what to do about lunches.  I tried to think back of what I did prior to surgery but it all looks like a ridiculously amount of food to me right now. I just don't know what to take that is appropriate portion sizes and would love some lunch ideas or tips on how you packed for your day.  Portion sizes and how you packed them is extremely helpful.   I do have access to a fridge at work and microwave.  

Thank you so much looking and responding! 

HW: 318 SW: 289 GW: 150

shermak1
on 1/16/17 11:49 am
VSG on 06/26/15

I purchased a set of containers that had several different labeled sizes/capacities. Here's a link (these aren't what I bought, but similar concept). http://a.co/enI4eYe 

In my early weeks I still ate a lot of mushy foods because I could tolerate them better. So I would put 1/2c. cottage cheese in a container and spread that out over 2 meals. Same with refried beans (I added unflavored protein powder). I also would pack a string cheese (I don't know what I would have done if I was one of the unlucky ones that couldn't tolerate dairy). If you're cleared for the more dense proteins, making chicken salad or tuna salad (with either nonfat mayo or plain greek yogurt) and dividing 1-2oz of meat into those pre-portioned containers is easy. And finally, I was constantly sipping protein shakes throughout the day to get my fluids and protein numbers up. I really liked the Syntrax fruity flavors because they were so easy to just mix with water.

rachelp
on 1/16/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

I made casseroles and put them in 2 oz containers. Also, taco bell pintos n cheese was my go to. It comes in a 2 oz container too. I actually reused their containers.  

I made Egg face's ricotta bake...but I added ground turkey meat. I made a chili relleno casserole I found on pinterest. I added refried beans to it. I ate chicken/tuna salad mixed with greek yogurt and boiled eggs. I also keep packets of tuna in my desk drawer. .Unjury chicken soup protein was really great for days that I just wasn't hungry. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Sai F.
on 1/16/17 12:23 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

I got a bunch of 1 cup containers. I really like the rectangle shape so after I measure my food (I go by weight, 4-6 oz total is my typical), I usually put 3-4 oz of fish or some type of protein on one side, and an 1-2 oz veggies on the other. At work, or wherever you're headed to, you can pop it in the microwave, and it's a yummy meal. I don't usually eat pre-packaged meals, however, I know there are so good tuna salad meals available... Etc. if you don't have time to cook or prefer pre-packaged.

I'm also a big fan of string cheese, cheese in general hehe, so I pack emergency snacks as well. Jerky travels well, as does nuts. I get hungry every 2-3 hrs during my "eating" hours. I generally practice intermittent fasting so for 12 or 18 hrs. I don't eat.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Rachel B.
on 1/16/17 12:39 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I'm simple, not fussy.  String cheese and some pre portioned (maybe 60g) turkey breast.  Keep protein bars in your desk and purse ALWAYS!  You're early on.  You can worry about the extras if you want to.  I'm simple, and I'm not a big cooker.  I have found quinoa at costco in the freezer section(or just regular quinoa, you can squeeze in a lime and grate some rind in for flavor, or make it like you may have liked your rice).  It's got a good protein count, low carb.  I've been eating quinoa and either turkey breast (12g P to 60g) or Rotisserie (moist) Chicken Breast (10g P to 60g).  I also used to keep unjury and a shaker in my desk too.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Anita
on 1/16/17 1:24 pm

Hi there.....first of all....welcome and congrats on being on the Loser's Bench!

Next, you've gotten excellent suggestions already and everyone has written what I would have said. I would add (not sure if I saw it already) I lived on Wendy's chili....my nutritionist likes it and it's soooooooooo easy. I usually make my own, but when I'm being lazy, that was (and still is) one of my go to's.

I know that someone else also suggested having protein bars available and I could not agree more. I always have at least one in my purse and when it's not hot out, I keep several in my car. I never thought I would hear myself say this, but sometimes I forget to eat. OMG.....isn't it sort of wonderful?? Every now and then I go out and realize that I've forgotten to eat breakfast because I'm simply not hungry. So, that protein bar in my car or purse will fill the bill until I can get to lunch and have more protein. I always have water handy, so fluids are not a problem.

Best of everything in your journey and again, welcome!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 1/16/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I really like these containers - https://www.amazon.com/YUMBOX-MiniSnack-Leakproof-Snack-Cher ie/dp/B018Y2Q26Q/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1484606934 &sr=1-9&keywords=yumbox

When I got mine, they didn't have this size which is even smaller than the child size ones I've got.  I'd get these if I were buying them now.  They're great for me-size lunches. 

My lunches are one of the following options, depending on where I am.  

1 - protein bar.  This is the worst option when I'm somewhere where I can't eat a real meal.  So like if I'm at the movies.  Or in class.  Blah.  

2 - easy fork food.  This is something like a tuna pouch or baked tofu.  Doesn't need a microwave, easy to eat with a fork.  

3 - leftovers!  If I'm at home with a microwave and everything, I'll just heat up a me-size portion of leftovers from a previous night's dinner.  

Portion size for me is 3-4 ounces.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

pmeador
on 1/16/17 3:08 pm
VSG on 12/21/16

Thanks everyone for the great replies!  I bought myself some smaller tupperware containers on amazon and I think I'll start off with 2 oz of protein (deli meat or tuna) and 1-2 ounces of veggies.  I do drink the premier protein shakes so I may take 1 or 2 with me on my busy days.  I'll have to keep an eye out for protein bars at costco so I can have a quick snack! 

hollykim
on 1/16/17 4:13 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM Pacific Time, pmeador wrote:

Hello everyone!  

New poster here, long time lurker.  I am almost 4 weeks post op (12/21/16) and I find myself a little nervous about returning to work/school/life and planning meals on the go.  I should be starting real food on Wednesday and I just don't know what to do about lunches.  I tried to think back of what I did prior to surgery but it all looks like a ridiculously amount of food to me right now. I just don't know what to take that is appropriate portion sizes and would love some lunch ideas or tips on how you packed for your day.  Portion sizes and how you packed them is extremely helpful.   I do have access to a fridge at work and microwave.  

Thank you so much looking and responding! 

leftover meat

tuna salad

chicken salad

Jerkey

boiled eggs

deviled eggs

chili

string cheese

baby bel cheese

refried beans n cheese

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/17 6:23 am
VSG on 10/11/16

When I was at your stage, I ate a lot of refried beans with cheese and hot sauce.  They heat up easily, and go down easy too.  Once you get to soft foods, tuna is a good choice.  I also roasted chicken breasts and made chicken salad.  And since I was at your stage right around Thanksgiving, I made lots of turkey salad too!  

Now that I am on regular food again, and I do a lot of local driving for various reasons, I pack things like beef jerky, various deli meats like turkey, ham, and pastrami, and cheeses of all sorts.  Once you are cleared for nuts, they are easy to transport as well.  Making up prepackaged amounts ahead of time for a couple of days really works out well.  You just have to grab and go without having to put a lot of thought or prep into it.  Do all your prep for a few days or a week ahead of time, and you will do well.  

Oh yeah, chili.  I love chili, and I make pot after pot.  It transports easily, and since you have access to a microwave, heats up quickly.  Beans for fiber and protein, and lots of meat and flavors.  What is not to love about chili?  

Most Active
Recent Topics