Sleeve stretching and vitamin ****tails

Laura in Texas
on 1/16/17 9:44 am

If you were looking for the "magic" surgery where you can only eat 1/4 cup of food 3 times a day forever, you are out of luck. The bottom line is, most of us can eat a lot more as time goes by. Whether that is from actually stretching or learning to eat around our surgery really does not matter. We are in charge of how much food we put in our mouth. Personal responsibility is key.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 2:31 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I was more looking at 1.) continue on like I was and die very soon, or 2.) get the surgery and live longer. I decided for personal responsibility when I lay on the table and agreed to get my guts altered. Deed done. Committed.

mrsfrogdr
on 1/16/17 11:49 am

In close to 7 years, with periods of time being seriously noncompliant, I can eat 1 1/1 to 2 cups if am eating soft foods.  If I'm eating chicken breast it's probably about 3/4 of a cup.  

Eat what you are suppose to, focus on nutrition and your stomach will be fine.

As far as supplements go, I have only taken a daily vitamin.  That's what was recommended by my surgeon. Now I have a D defecincy and some problems with my teeth.  I am trying to play catch up.  I would rather be healthy to fight any cancer that I am predisposed to than fight it unhealthy.

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 2:36 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Interesting. You are/were doing what I'm doing now, just a daily vitamin. Adjustments clearly necessary. Thanks for your thoughts.

p.s. My husband just now told me the hospital nutritionist told him I'm not even supposed to be taking a daily vitamin for the first six weeks. Supposed to concentrate on that after my stomach heals. Really, the contrast to what the U.S. is doing is glaring.

Valerie G.
on 1/16/17 4:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Of course a sleeve is going to stretch.  One poster quoted around 8-12oz capacity, ,and with my 11 yr old sleeve, they are just about spot-on by my estimates.  When I first got my DS (I also have sleeve stomach), I could barely eat more than 2-4 oz the first year or so at a time.

Revisions are indeed necessary for some.  Many get re-sleeved because their sleeve stretched beyond the expected amount.  Some revise to the RNY and butcher their stomachs, while others get the DS to shake up the way their body metabolizes food.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lisa.17
on 1/17/17 12:55 am
VSG on 01/05/17

What are your thoughts on the slider foods others have mentioned? I assume that means foods that don't sit in bulk but are easy passed. Not sure. So those could be eaten in more volume giving a false impression of stretching. I hope I understood that right. What do you think? Possible theory?

If someone is able to eat 8-12 ounces of steak with no problem then to my layman's mind there must be some truth to stretching. Or else something happening we're not aware of yet. So many differing opinions and no one's come forth yet with solid proof. Or if so I haven't found it.

Rachel B.
on 1/17/17 11:13 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Sliders are foods that go through easy and have little protein: potatoes, rice, pastas, junk food, candy, etc.  Also including to some extent (cos they really aren't that great) processed meats.  Your compact lean proteins are what you really want to focus on.  Turkey breast and chicken breast are very lean and high in protein.  When it comes to chicken breast, I go for rotisserie cos it's moist.  I peel off the skin and my girl gets that.  She's a happy girl!  When it comes to beef, I'm strictly ribeye.  That is a "loose" red meat.  I can eat less now, but it is one I used to pound down.  LOVE RIBEYE.  Jerky is also a good source.  I may try to make my own, as others do.  Right now, I buy (probably not the best for the diet) Three Jerks.  It arrives today, and will probably be 'costly', but I'll live!

Anyone else got advise on sliders??

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

cmp067
on 1/16/17 7:53 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

I am taking Bariatric Fusion chewable vitamins, 4 per day. NUT says that's all I need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N03CMJG/ref=oh_aui_deta ilpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sleeve's stretch. I got my original sleeve in 2012 and just got re-sleeved last week. My doctor is highly regarded as a top surgeon in Los Angeles, he has even written a book about WLS. He told me that it just happens. No clear explanation.

Good luck on your journey. :)

Lisa.17
on 1/17/17 12:57 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Thank you, I bookmarked the vitamin. :) Very interesting about your surgeon. I'ma check into some books. Thanks for the good wishes! You too!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/17 6:02 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Bariatric Fusion are not good vitamins, and are very expensive.

ASBMS guidelines recommend 200% RDA of vitamins and minerals. For a good, complete adult multivitamin such as Centrum or many generics, that means 2 per day.

Bariatric Fusion only has 25% of the RDA of most vitamins and minerals. To get 200%, you'd need 8 per day, not 4. At the Amazon price, that's $57 per month for a multi. I use the Patch now, at $15 per month, and it's more complete. Before that, I used a Centrum generic from CVS that was also more complete, and they only cost about 14 bucks per year.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics