Angry brain and protein battle (aka Lisa enjoys a large glass of whine)

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:25 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:35 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

You are the sweetest thing for looking that up for me, thank you! 

I see what you mean now. Before I went into the hospital my husband chose this one for me kind of blindly: https://www.amazon.de/Nutri-Plus-Shape-Shake-Neutral-Protein pulver/dp/B00HWQQ08Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484602200&sr=8- 2&keywords=Nutri+Shake+Whey+Protein

It turned out okay so I'll use this up and am comparing and reading reviews until then. Next purchase will be much more informed.

Rachel B.
on 1/15/17 2:34 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

So, ON is a great protein.  It's used by buiders and bariatric patients.  Not high in carbs or fats, 24g protein per serving.  Now, a lot of us can have difficulty with the flavors of bariatric proteins post surg. 

Are their any bariatric programs over there?  Seems to me that has got to be something.  I know we have folks from Australia on this site, Canada, UK...

There are many different flavors of ON to try.  There are a lot of different bars as well.  God, I wi**** were easy for you to obtain them.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

There is a bariatric program of sorts in the town I had the surgery done but it seems to be run by former patients. Nothing from the doctors. I have an appointment for a three month check by my surgeon in April and was advised to visit those people as well while I'm there. Have no clue what for because it's too far away for me to reasonably participate in, thus the no-prep, no info fog I've existed in until now.

I mean, they're there, but they may as well not be because I can't access them. What I can access (online) is a forum run by patients giving their experience based info, but dramatically different from this forum. For instance, today my husband sent me a German article on how we shouldn't train our altered stomachs to rely on protein shakes because it isn't reasonable to keep up long term plus it encourages grazing and the need to feel full constantly. ??? I'm guessing this is partly where the 'eat anything you want, use common sense' advice from the hospital nutritionist came from. Truthfully I think it's a cultural thing but I'm an American so I'm gonna figuratively come over here and stand with you guys. You make more sense.

Rachel B.
on 1/16/17 1:52 pm, edited 1/16/17 5:52 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I can understand that.  I was married to an Italian.  There is a little difference in cultural perspective.

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/15/17 7:50 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Yes it can be kinda hard in the beginning, but it does get easier. I'm not sure what products are available to you in Germany, maybe call your Dr/nutritionist & get some more ideas. It may sound nutty but have you tried baby food? Yes this was actually a suggestion given to me early out & I did eat it & felt like an idiot, but I needed the protein beyond the shakes but wasn't yet ready for soft foods like eggs & tuna.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lisa.17
on 1/16/17 1:57 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

I did actually and you know, I liked it! It filled me, was easy to eat and didn't taste bad at all. Score. Plus I'm grown for a while now and as far as I'm concerned if anyone had a problem with me eating baby food they can find somewhere else to be so they don't have to watch. No shame whatsoever! lol 

Babygotsleeved
on 1/18/17 6:46 am
VSG on 11/29/16

I could not stomach protein shakes after surgery. No problem beforehand, but afterward-BLECH!  I survived on pureed bean and lentil soups. I just diluted them per the directions on the can and supplemented them with unflavored protein powder. I could drink 1/2 cup every 3 hours and was able to get in 90 - 100g protein a day. Then, of course, drink, drink, drink your water or Crystal Light or whatever you can drink. Where there's a will there's a way. :) Keep up the good work - you can do this!

Lisa.17
on 1/18/17 10:43 am
VSG on 01/05/17

Thank you for the encouragement!

The protein shakes in the hospital made me sick. Tasted very sugary and they served it with a straw. No one told me not to drink through a straw. Mistake. I'm nowhere near to taking in the protein or anything else I need yet but I'll diligently work on it for sure. 

CC C.
on 1/18/17 11:06 am

I've heard the straw thing before, but I don't think I understand why that's bad. Do you just take in too much at a time with one?

Most Active
Recent Topics