VSGAnn2014 -- a 2.5 years post-VSG'er and an OH newbie

VSGAnn2014
on 1/14/17 6:34 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Hi, OH sleevers. 

I'm a vivacious 71 year-old Blondie wanna-be who had VSG surgery 2.5 years ago at age 68.  I'm now 71 and feel 30 years younger than that.  

My highest-ever weight pre-op was 235 pounds.  I've lost exactly 100 pounds and kept it off now for over a year.  I exercise 5 days a week, maintain on a daily average of 1,750 cals, lots of protein (85-95 grams/day), many healthy carbs, fiber and fats.  I love food, especially nutritious food.  

I had a great surgeon, no complications (other than needing my gallbladder out a month post-VSG), am super-compliant, although not perfect.  Thus far, my sleeve is working perfectly.  

Big NSVs are arthritic pain in my knees that has gone away and mu*****reased energy.  

I'm almost halfway into my third year post-op and have observed that Years 3, 4 and 5 are "interesting years" for sleeved patients, even those as successful as me (thus far).  I see folks my tenure starting to gain weight.  Needless to say, I'd like to avoid doing that.  

I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who are now in their fourth and fifth years post-op.  What have you experienced and learned that you think would benefit people in my "class"?  

Many thanks in advance for all who have insights to offer on this topic.  :)

Ann

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/17 4:53 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Great question!  I know it is going to get tougher the further out I get (I am 10 months post-op).  BTW, you are able to eat a lot more calories than it seems most woman above menopause can - I seem to be maintaining on about 1200, and I'm pretty sure I would gain at 1700. I exercise 3 times a week, but exercise has never seemed to directly affect my weight - just makes me feel better and more motivated.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

VSGAnn2014
on 1/15/17 5:49 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Liz, hello and thanks.  

Re your point about how much I eat in maintenance -- I give credit on that front to my surgeon's team who urged me not to starve myself during the weight-losing phases.  They said if I did so that I would suppress my metabolic rate and wind up having to eat very low amounts after reaching my goal to maintain.

FYI, before my VSG surgery (while on my own 1,400 calorie/day diet and then my surgeon's 800 calorie/day pre-op diet) I lost 20 pounds.  All that took about 2.5 months.  

Then post-op I averaged 800 calories/day the first 4 months, then upped to 1,000 calories during Months 5-6, then went up to 1,200 calories during Months 7-8.  Thereafter, I gradually raised my calories until I was averaging 1,700/day.  

Surprisingly, during Months 9-17 I slowly lost another 15 pounds to reach 135 pounds (for a total of 100 pounds lost).  

I swear I'm not kidding about how much I can eat now and maintain.  Because I track everything I eat on My Fitness Pal, I recently ran the numbers and found out that since I hit my (second) goal of 135 pounds I've averaged 1,723 calories/day.  Needless to say, I eat more than that some days and less than that some days.  My bounce range right now is 2 pounds -- from 133 - 137.  

BUT ... like I said, I know numerous people 3-4-5 years out who have been very successful in the past, but are struggling seriously for the first time with regain.  

P.S.  Exercise actually does help me stay at this weight.  I've tracked that, too, and found that when I slough off for a month or two on exercise my weight gradually trends upward.  When I put it back in, the scales gradually go down.  I will say this:  In maintenance, everything happens slower.  Both ways.  

Lipsticklady
on 1/15/17 6:04 am
VSG on 05/14/13

VSGAnn is a total hottie, too.  Trust me on that!

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Most Active
Recent Topics