Another newbie

CC C.
on 1/14/17 5:38 pm, edited 1/14/17 5:53 pm

Hi all! I'm another BP refugee (who still reads over there as clc9, because I have trouble looking away from the carnage). I've apparently been a member here since 2013. I think I joined because I was considering plastic surgery after losing 170 pounds through diet and exercise over the previous two years. It was the third time in my (currently) 45 years that I'd lost over 100 pounds. I thought I had it all figured out by the third time - I'm smart, had lots of therapy, done tons of research on nutrition, was happy to eat healthy food, had great exercise habits.  I can lose weight like a champ. So why am I here now? I can't maintain weight loss. No matter how happy I am, how great I feel, how much I don't want to return to being the fat version of me. I lost my grip on all of it and sit here up 115 of those 170 pounds. 

I know I have to get this weight off if I want to live a life worth living. But the thought of losing it all again knowing I've got next to no chance of keeping it off if I do it with just diet and exercise was more than I could face. So I did what I thought I would never do (I apologize for this previous arrogance!) - considered weight loss surgery. I know now it's the only help available today that gives me a less than terrible chance at keeping it off long term. I understand it's still going to be very hard, but hopefully not impossible.

So I've decided on the sleeve. I've had my consultations, picked my surgeon, met with the psychologist. Next is insurance approval, a few educational appointments, labs and tests, then surgery in the next month or two.

I'm scared spitless of screwing this up too. My focus leading up to surgery has been looking at those who've been unsuccessful or regained and trying to understand where they went wrong so I don't do the same. I want to be a longtime successful vet. I really want to learn how to maintain weight loss and see examples of people who have done it. So no need to coddle me. I hope to not need many smacks to the head, but smack away if it's warranted. 

AggieMae
on 1/14/17 7:44 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I got banned today so can't access the site  but Alex still refuses to delete me as a member.  (More members = more revenue)

I'm going to contact an attorney on Monday. Friend me!

CC C.
on 1/14/17 7:50 pm

Hey AggieMae! Happy to friend you (when I figure that out). Be sure to join the group Lipsticklady created: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

You may have already, but I see a couple people are still pending until she gets to the approval.

Rachel B.
on 1/14/17 7:46 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Hey!  Welcome.  The best advice I can give you, as I have lost, and gained post-surg...  Is to STAY ENGAGED WITH THIS SUPPORT GROUP LONG AFTER YOU HAVE LOST YOUR WEIGHT!  I thought I could live like a 'normal person'.  HA!  When I'm here, I am reminded of what I have to do to take the best care of myself.  Something I often forget to do, because I spend too much time worrying about, and taking care of, others.

But that's my story.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

CC C.
on 1/14/17 7:55 pm, edited 1/14/17 12:02 pm

Thank you, Rachel! Trying to live as a "normal person" totally resonates with me... I guess we'll never be normal if normal means not having to be forever vigilant.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/17 4:39 am, edited 1/14/17 8:39 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I don't know if I'll ever be normal. 

CC C.
on 1/15/17 9:45 am

You're just the right amount of "not normal", LittleBill! 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/17 8:13 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome. 

Losing weight before WLS is like people who won the lottery. You hear about the big wins, but never all the small losses. I must have lost 2 or 3 thousand pounds over the years. And of course gained it all back, plus some. Surgery was the best choice I made, and has finally helped me keep it off. I think you'll be really happy with your choice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CC C.
on 1/14/17 8:31 pm

Thank you so much! That's encouraging. 

If I may ask, how does maintenance feel different with the sleeve, if it does?

Without surgery, maintenance felt like I was dangling from a cliff by my fingertips until I just couldn't hang on anymore. All the while I was thinking, I'll just eat this one off-plan thing and then I'll get back to it. But I could never get back to it for any meaningful amount of time.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/17 4:46 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I was like you - a champ at losing weight, then regaining it (and more).  I was always either dieting or gaining. I NEVER was in maintenance mode.  I made the decision to have WLS after I had gotten to my highest weight and it was still climbing as was my blood pressure and other comorbitities. I had briefly looked into lapband years ago, but I was afraid of a foreign object in my body and it would have been self-pay.  The VSG seemed to address most of my concerns and I qualified for insurance.

I too spent most of my decision and pre-op time studying both unsuccessful and successful maintainers.  I read posts on multiple OH forums religiously, listen to the sound advice of the Vets and try to follow the rules of those who have been most successful. Regardless of the WLS type, the successful maintainers follow most of the same rules, so I do too and it is working. I have also put some "rules" in place for how to get back on-track which I expect I will need at some point.  I NEVER even contemplated that in the past.  This tool works well when used properly!  

Here are a few of the "rules" I'm following:

1. Eat protein forward
  2. Established goals for calories, protein and carbs which seem appropriate for maintenance (still working on this as I got thinner than I planned)
  3. Weigh daily
  4. Log all my food
  5. Take all my vitamins every day
  6. Read OH religiously and participate in a VSG maintenance group
  7. Attend in person support groups once a month or so
  8. Eat every 2-3 hours - small protein rich meals
  9. Keep the most dangerous stuff out of the house or out of sight (my husband who has always been thin has hidden homemade chocolate chip cookies)
  10. Have a weight maximum posted at my scale along with a before/after picture
  11. Have a plan for what to do if I broach the maximum
  12. Have a plan for eating when I go out (I generally go out to eat once a week and have done so since I was about 2.5 months post-op)

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Most Active
Recent Topics