Fueling for training

Jmccpnp
on 1/13/17 11:04 am
VSG on 06/29/16

Any one out there doing some intense exercise that cares to share how they fuel? I was doing some serious training and races before my surgery. Since surgery it has been difficult because I bonk. I cannot seem to take in enough to keep me from bonking when running and doing hard workouts. Has anyone had this problem and what has worked?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/13/17 11:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Get the weight off first. Worry about races later. You are carrying around 100 pounds or more of extra fuel you want to burn off, right? Everything you add for fuel now makes it more unlikely you'll reach those goals.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Jmccpnp
on 1/13/17 11:34 am
VSG on 06/29/16

I am about 40 lbs from goal. I enjoy my activities too much to be satisfied with walking. My Dr thinks I should be taking in more than I am and she thinks I should be able to do multi-sport at this point. I am not looking to fill myself with carbs and Gu. Besides, once the weight is all off, I will need to figure out how to eat and train without gain or bonk.  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 1/13/17 11:41 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I was doing the C25K program but didnt finish the last few weeks, this was about 8 weeks after surgery (am now 7 months post op)

For the days I weight lift I havent added anything extra in. I give it my best and while my strength has completely diminished, I still lift as hard/heavy/intense as my body can handle at its state now

If youre doing marathons, etc, there are some guys on here that do train/run those that could post some info. I'd check over in the mens forum

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 1/13/17 11:42 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I also take preworkouts when I lift. I for sure take melatonin on those days, as now that im 110 pounds lighter I dont metabolize these like before so they keep me wired at night lol

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Jmccpnp
on 1/13/17 11:50 am
VSG on 06/29/16

Thank you!

Gwen M.
on 1/13/17 2:40 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I do.  I'm currently training for my first half marathon, plus I do a lot of other non-running exercise as well.  

I do two things - on most days I rearrange my eating so that I'm eating when my body actually needs food.  I don't eat extra in the name of fueling, I eat the same as I would otherwise.   I just eat at the times my body requires the food instead of at meal times.  

The other thing I do is, if I'm doing cardio for more than an hour, I use Clif Bloks.  I do this at the rate of one cube per half hour.  I make sure to hydrate really well too.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

stacyrg
on 1/13/17 4:29 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I use the Shot Bloks when I run 1/2 marathons.  I try to chew one every 3 miles or so and follow up immediately with water (I was given permission to break the no liquid/solid rule since the Bloks need water to break down)  They really work for me and are gentle on my stomach (or what's left of it, anyway . . . )

Jenn1
on 1/13/17 7:24 pm
VSG on 06/04/14

Hi there, I'm new so excuse any posting mistakes.

Where are you at in your running workouts? C25K? Starting out doing intervals? Jogging or running sustained for an hour?

My disclaimer..I am not a medical professional...Just a bariatric running nerd.

Starting out running and in weight loss phase, I did not change my diet. (intervals to an hour sustained running) I did eat a half hour before the gym. I feel bogged down working out on a full stomach.  I drink a pre-workout on my way to the gym. I take a protein shake to drink after my workout. 

If you are running into low blood sugar. (This is different than energy bonk) Your dietician may have you eat a small amount of low glycemic carbs before your workout. Always check with your dietician. 

If you choose to become a Bariathlete (above normal fitness level) you will need to fuel your body differently. Its an increased calorie protein and carb ratio. It's an all day project with a tiny stomach.

Invest in a running belt. You can carry your phone, car keys, food meal bars, and running gel to fuel your body for long runs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131902264491?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_ noapp=true

Running gels. I like Excell gel, I'm trying out 2nd surge. These are the few I have found with protein. 

Hydration. Some people do a waist belt with water bottles. They through me off balance. I invested in a running vest. It doesn't bounce around. It has a straw like Camelbak. You bite to sip water.  Small sip's throughout your run feels better than trying to gulp down at break station. You will stay hydrated.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-HYDBPV.html

gwarehouse.com/catpage-HYDBPV.html

Bonroxie19
on 1/13/17 9:51 pm

Hi There,

I do a lot of running and strength training.  Once cleared for running I also had a lot of trouble getting in the long mileage.  My doctor had me use Gu.  It really did help me for the couple of months when i was struggling get in the long miles. Now at almost two years out i no longer need anything even on my sunday long runs which are around 10 miles.  So as Grim said lose the weight don't worry about the distance and speed for for your miles.  It will all get better.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Most Active
Recent Topics