Nervously Trying to Make a Decision

pitts-burnett
on 1/10/17 6:51 pm
VSG on 12/30/16

I am glad that she wrote this question: however, I am day 12 post op. I am learning everyday. I bounced back rather quickly and day to day feel great. I am still trying to learn how to get all my protein in. I am pretty much still doing liquids but I had my first REAL chicken tonight. It felt simply AMAZING!!!!!! I thought I was at a 5 star restaurant sitting at my own table. Any advice on keeping your protein intake high. What do some of you do? I can tell some of you all are doing great!!!

Day 12--SO GLAD I DID IT!!!

Thanks

rachelp
on 1/11/17 6:34 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Unjury chicken soup flavored protein powder and Unjury plain unflavored protein powder added to food like yogurt etc. 

pr31
on 1/10/17 12:03 pm

I actually had RNY and have had no regrets.  I'm not promoting one surgery over the other.  I'm just saying that if you are just beginning your investigation into WLS, make sure to check all your options.  What is best for one person may not be the best for another person.  There's lots of great advice and support on these boards.  Do all the research you can, including research of your physician/center so you can make the best decision for you.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

jachristmas
on 1/10/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks out from surgery and I am feeling great. I started this process in May 2016 and have lost 70 lbs and feel so much better than I have in years...and this is only the beginning. I cannot wait to see where this journey takes me. Any questions you have, I am sure you can find an answer here. Good luck with your decision!

Cathy H.
on 1/10/17 2:48 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Hey, Jessilou, welcome to the board!  I had my surgery 10 weeks ago Monday, and things are going great!  I am so happy I did it, and it was one of the easiest surgeries I've ever been through.  As the others stated, do tons of research (I spent 8 years researching to pick the surgery for me) and make an informed decision.  I wish you the best, and hope one day soon you will join us all here on the Loser's Bench!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

happyteacher
on 1/10/17 3:21 pm

Spent years agonizing if Rny was the path to go. Vsg came out on a news report and my decision became crystal clear. Recovery went splendid, no problem making it to a normal bmi and keeping it off. I am 5 years out. Had a hiatel hernia repaired at surgery time. Ended up being allergic to the urisodol (meds to protect your gallbladder from rapid weight loss). Last year lost the gallbladder and had a second an much more severehiatel hernia repaired. Other that my only regret is not getting it done earlier. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Smallbites2015
on 1/11/17 4:37 am

Best life decision ever. No regrets other than not doing it sooner!!!   

Valerie G.
on 1/12/17 4:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll find lots of positives here, but if you really want to read negatives, you'll want to click on the forums link up above, and find the boards for WLS Revisions, Failed WLS and WLS Regrets.  It's not just the VSG out there, but you'll get the ugly about all of the procedures.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/17 7:49 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Keep doing research! The more you know, the better you'll feel about your decision. I'm 3 weeks post op and feel great. Down 25 lbs since pre op. I had virtually no pain. I was nauseas from the anesthetic the first 2 days but it went away. I went back to work in a week but I have a desk job and mainly work from home so it was an easy transition for me. I wish I had taken a few extra days just because my energy wasn't fully back. Use the pre op time to try and adjust your eating habits so you won't be as miserable after. If the hospitals or surgeons in your areas do any lectures on bariatric surgery, attend a couple. I went to 3 different ones (they're free) to see what the different surgeons had to say and that helped me make my decision on which surgery and which surgeon. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Meghan704
on 1/16/17 1:17 am
VSG on 06/16/15

Best thing I ever did for myself. Ive been asked since surgery if I thought it was worth it and if I would do it again and my answer is always, absolutely. I would do this over and over again to feel as good as I do now. I would do this surgery every year for the rest of my life if I had to, it's that worth it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics