Nervously Trying to Make a Decision

Jessilou23
on 1/10/17 6:20 am

Good morning,

I have started the process of looking into Bariatric Surgery and have read great things about the VSG procedure. I would love to hear some feedback, both positive and negative, regarding your experiences. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jessica

landy
on 1/10/17 9:01 am

Hello and Welcome!

I just started my process also.  This site has loads of information.  I have found that it is easiest to search for key words in the VSG forums, like RISK, DIET, FOOD, RECOVERY, etc. 

Best wishes on your journey!

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

sheri.calabrese
on 1/10/17 9:05 am
VSG on 12/14/16

Hi Jessica,

I am at week 4 since surgery and I honestly can't give any negative feedback. I am very happy with the decision I made to have this surgery. My recovery has been really easy and that really surprised me. I was back to work in 1 week, I work a desk job from home. My wife had the surgery 2 weeks prior to me and has a physical job and was back to work in 2 weeks.

About 3 days post-op we both had a buyers remorse day. Her because of she was having lots of problems with acid reflux (which is better thank goodness) and mine was because I felt like I was chasing fluids and protein and was never going to be able to easily get to it. It passed quickly though and we have had 0 regrets since.

Good luck!

Sammy2929
on 1/10/17 9:06 am
VSG on 05/02/16

My feedback is simple:  It was worth everything to have the surgery.  I went from 296 to 170 in 8 months.  I still need to lose at least 30 more.  The surgery is not the answer to being skinny but a new life long lifestyle and a chance for you to become healthy.  Please remember it took you years to get fat, don't expect to be skinny to fast.  It takes work, dedication and a willingness to get out there and exercise like you've never done before.  Don't go thru this stuff and not be willing to change everything about your life.  No more couch potato or you'll eventually go back to the way you are which no one wants to do.

The first month after surgery can be a ***** Everyone is different.  I could hardly drink let along eat with wanting to puke.  I was still on 8 pills a day, threw up every day taking them but I can now take 5 at a time and I'm done.  I think the soft and pureed food parts of the diet were disgusting but I did them knowing I had to and that it wouldn't be forever.

I am on the go all the time, I eat at restaurants and friends houses.  I have taken my vitamins every day and followed my doctors orders.  If you want something bad enough you will do it. I too had the sleeve and wouldn't change a thing.

Good luck in your decisions, they are tough ones as you need to consider you situation, your surroundings, family and hopefully lots of support systems.

I go to bariatric support group meetings and they are a wealth of knowledge from people who have been there, please do go, you won't regret it.

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

KittyKarin
on 1/10/17 9:21 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi Jessica!

I am 4 years out from VSG surgery and it was a great decision for me.  I would do it all again if I had to.  The choice about which surgery to pick is a very subjective one and has to do with you and your current weight, your medical and weight history, diet personality, etc.  The best thing to do is to continue to research all surgeries and speak with your doctor about the best choice for you.  For me, I opted for the VSG surgery because I didn't want to have something put into my body or go through fills (lap band) and I didn't choose RNY or DS surgery because I didn't want to reroute my intestines at all. I am horrible about taking vitamins and I didn't want to mess with my absorption of nutrients. That was just a few of the reasons I picked the one I did.  That was a totally personal choice and there are benefits and cons to all surgeries.  

With VSG, I feel like you have to do a bit more of the work to lose the weight and keep it off but for me, that is what I wanted.  I needed a tool to help me with my restriction and hunger.  Good luck with the process! Just keep researching and reading and you'll find the one that will work best for you!! :-) 

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Rachel B.
on 1/10/17 9:25 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I had my surgery in August 2008 at 269 and was 145 by May 2009.  Now, bad things in life happened, and I stopped eating right.  I started back on slider carbs, and drank A LOT of alcohol.  I pretty much gave up on my sleeve by 2013.  In October, I decided to get ahold of my surgeon and see about revision.  I also started to come back here daily and be accountable.  I started tracking my food and really getting it back together.  No extra carbs, etc.  As of today, I am down 28lbs.  Its slowed a bit, so I am increasing exercise and trying to decrease calories.  Best of all, my surgeon says my VSG is still tight as the day it was done.  So my tool still works, as evidenced by my weight loss.  Now, I need to just work my sleeve!

It's a good choice.  But on OH, you can research all your options.

Good luck!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/17 9:26 am, edited 1/10/17 2:15 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Hi Jessi - Happy you stopped by. 

11 weeks ago I underwent VSG surgery.  It was the best decision I ever made, besides quitting smoking years ago.  The following are a list of my positives:  

• increased energy
  • move more
  • sleep improved
  • off meds (cholesterol, anti-depressant/anxiety, blood pressure)
  • clothes (so fun to get smaller sizes)
  • people are kinder to me (no joke)
  • no reflux
  • hopeful
  • grocery bill less
  • more left overs
  • meeting more people/less reclusive/ want to live
  • increased confidence/self esteem
  • look forward to each day
  • exercise is easier/walking/biking
  • opportunity expanded (hiking trip, roller coaster ride planned for May)
  • no physical pain (knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago, other knee was bone on bone, arthroscopic in 2006 - no pain- worse knee my orthopedic at Mayo had ever seen)
  • Fit in a theatre seat/airplane (anxiety alleviated)
  • can cross my legs/tie my sneakers

Cons:  

• constipation (it feels so good once I go and it is treatable)
  • head hunger (it is improving with time and a learning experience)

I waited a number of years before the surgery came to be (insurance coverage and no easy access to medical care) but I think it was a blessing in disguise.  The surgery has come a long ways and is less invasive than a knee replacement.  The statistics are grim that I would ever lose and keep the weight off.  I think I bought myself a lot more time, especially quality time.  Now I live near a big city and have excellent access to my program/medical care. I am looking forward to experiencing things that I never thought possible before.

Wishing you all the best with your decision.  Hope to see you on this site again.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/10/17 10:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

All I can say is all positive for me - best thing I ever did.  Ditto to most of the details by the other posters.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Gwen M.
on 1/10/17 10:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My life is immeasurably better.  Not only because I can do things I always wanted to do but, more importantly, I'm doing things I never even dreamed of wanting to do.  For example, it never even crossed my mind to want to be a runner and now I'm training for my first half marathon.  How cool is that?  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

rachelp
on 1/10/17 10:48 am
VSG on 08/01/16

First of all welcome! This is the exciting new part of WLS. There is great advice above! The search function is great tool! This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. Surgery was a breeze. It was my first surgery ever and I had hardly any pain. Only when I first woke up and had the effects from anesthesia. I didn't take any pain meds once I got home from the hospital and never have any nausea or vomiting and was out and about shopping. I was back to work in exactly 1 week (desk job). I really can't say anything negative. Maybe that it takes a while to get used to no drinking while eating. That's it.  

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics