Quick Compression Shirt Reviews

Joshua H.
on 1/9/17 11:14 am
VSG on 10/26/16

As I mentioned, I've fallen in love with compression shirts for exercising and pretty much regular wear (I wear them as undershirts even when not exercising).  I've tried 6 brands and wanted to come and offer a quick review of the ones I've tried thus far.

All of these were ordered in 2XL -- I'm 6'2"+ and still have a belly to get the shirt around

Baleaf: Excellent support/fit.  Material thickness average.  Only complaint, not long enough for me, constantly rides up as I exercise.

UA: Excellent support/fit.  Material thickness slightly less than average.  Same complaint as above, constantly rides up due to length.

Nike:  Good fit.  Thin material.  Support on the low side.  Long shirt, able to tuck in and don't have issues with creep up.

Champion:  Good support/fit.  Average material.  Long shirt, able to tuck in and avoid riding up issues.

Tesla: Good fit.  Thinner material, support on the low side (but better than Nike).  Another long one that tucks in.

SubSports:  Tight fit.  Getting in was a struggle.  Thicker material.  Size and material make support the best of the bunch.  Also a long shirt that tucks easily.

If I can manage getting in/out of the SubSports one without killing myself, it'll be my favorite.  Otherwise, I may end up going to Champion. 

I'll try and explain my fascination with them (and hope I don't get my post cut off again).  While exercising, I was having problems with what I'm calling "double impact" -- the initial impact of my foot/feet hitting the ground while running/jogging/jumping jacks -- and then the inertial mass of my loose accumulation of me impacting a short time later.  What happened was when I was pushing off/jumping again, not only was I fighting gravity but I was also fighting the extra incoming force of everything that landed shortly after my foot did.  I attributed this to a knee injury (torn meniscus) and a psychological barrier.  Once I put on the compression shirt -- this stuff went away as it kept all of me moving in unison.  I've been able to add regular jumping jacks, step up/step downs, and short jogs (very short -- less than 30s) to my walking routine.  The difference really was night/day for me.

Oh, and I've (so far) not experienced any knee discomfort associated with these exercises.

takingarisk3825
on 1/9/17 11:50 am

thanks for the information.  

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/17 11:53 am, edited 1/9/17 4:56 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Thank you for the low down on compression garb.  Looks like Champion won you over.  Champion didn't have any compression shirts for women on line so onto the next best. Great to hear your knee is doing better.

AD_Jordan
on 1/9/17 2:55 pm

Thanks for these reviews. I need to get something to keep the "extra me" from attacking when I exercise.  :)

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

happyteacher
on 1/10/17 3:21 am

Ya know... because of the way you described the "second impact" I realized just how much that impacts the type of exercise I choose. I have a vibration allergy so the impact for me triggers hives. I also happen to be 6'2'' and now no chest due to a double mastectomy, so consequently mens shirts fits better at this point. I think I will go track down your top two picks- are they really warm when you exercise? I need it mostly to the extra skin and such on the back, surgery took care of the belly part. I am leaning toward Champion per your description, but would prefer the tighter support if the shirt is not too hot.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Joshua H.
on 1/11/17 2:11 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

I was warm, but not too hot, walking in ~55 degree weather in the SubSports shirt yesterday.  I'll be giving the Champion another go soon, so I can answer that better after that.

Getting the SubSports on/off was much easier this time.

happyteacher
on 1/11/17 2:19 pm

Oh good to hear. I ended up ordering the Subsports in a short sleeve length. I do not normally order a mens medium in regular shirts or whatever- but a mens large is normally loose and a medium simply more fitted than I am comfortable with. Hoping the medium won't be impossible to get on. Fingers crossed! I appreciate that you thought to throw the review up on OH!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Joshua H.
on 1/13/17 7:46 am
VSG on 10/26/16

Just to wrap up on this -- I've decided to split between SubSports and Champion.  Both are really good for me and depending on color (although I should probably stick with neutral colors) there are different prices and I don't want to shell out extra cash if I don't have to.

I'm glad this was helpful for you.  I'd like to hear what you think once you try it.

happyteacher
on 1/13/17 3:33 pm

I will let you know. It was ordered online so not delivered yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics