Insurance.. Blah

mustangchick2008
on 1/8/17 6:22 am

I just finished my last weigh-in because my insurance required a 6 month pre-surgery doctor approved diet. I talked with the surgery coordinator Thursday and she said she would be faxing all the paperwork to insurance and we should hear something back sometime this next week. I can't help but to be nervous. She is concerned because she also had to submit my last 3 years weights and per insurance, they should be over 40 BMI. 3 years ago my BMI was 39.8. Does anyone have any experience with their insurance approving/denying based on the BMI being that close, but not right at 40? Any thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I should be scared, nervous, happy, depressed.. I kinda feel all that right now and it's hard not to binge eat from the worrying.  Thanks for any and all support! 

NYMom222
on 1/8/17 8:27 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I always say with insurance companies...a lot depends on whose desk it crosses... so good luck in that department. Don't know if you have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or diabetes but if you have those co-morbidities the requirement is only usually a 35 BMI... one 39.8 reading in 3 years would seem pretty harsh for them to deny...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mustangchick2008
on 1/9/17 5:39 pm

I thought I had already replied to you, but here goes again. I agree that it does depend on whose desk it crosses, but I am hoping whomever gets it, is having a blessed day! :D I do not have high blood pressure, but I do have sleep apnea. My coordinator said it isn't considered a co-morbidity due to the fact that my "score" was only 13, but I still have to use a CPAP.  

Readyjwc
on 1/8/17 12:49 pm
VSG on 01/05/17
On January 8, 2017 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, mustangchick2008 wrote:

I just finished my last weigh-in because my insurance required a 6 month pre-surgery doctor approved diet. I talked with the surgery coordinator Thursday and she said she would be faxing all the paperwork to insurance and we should hear something back sometime this next week. I can't help but to be nervous. She is concerned because she also had to submit my last 3 years weights and per insurance, they should be over 40 BMI. 3 years ago my BMI was 39.8. Does anyone have any experience with their insurance approving/denying based on the BMI being that close, but not right at 40? Any thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I should be scared, nervous, happy, depressed.. I kinda feel all that right now and it's hard not to binge eat from the worrying.  Thanks for any and all support! 

Hi

I just got approved by Harvard Pilgrim last week. My BMI is under 40 but I have two, actually 3 now, co-morbidities...high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and sleep apnea. I had no problem.

Every insurance is different. Some of us here have really good plans and others - not so much. All depends.

Fingers crossed for you. I hope they approve. You've worked hard - congrats.

Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

rachelp
on 1/9/17 10:05 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Ahhh, the dreaded insurance waiting game. I hope all goes well. Let us know what you hear back. Good luck!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

akindofmagick
on 1/9/17 10:09 am - MD

Mustang - my insurance required bmi of >35-39 and one co-morbidity (used to be two co-morbidities in this range). Over 40 bmi needs no co-morbidities. Hopefully (!!) you have at least one.

Crossing fingers and toes for you!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

mustangchick2008
on 1/10/17 3:49 pm

UPDATE: I got the call today and I am APPROVED!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all of your advice and kind words of encouragement!!! I will definitely be more active on these forums since the surgery will happen now for sure! 

akindofmagick
on 1/11/17 9:03 am - MD

WHOOOPPP!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!  I've been crossing my fingers and hoping you'd get good news - doing the happy dance for you!  :)

mustangchick2008
on 1/11/17 6:46 pm

Thank you so much!! I'm so excited! Fortunately or Unfortunately.. I can't finish my pre-surgery appointments until Feb 17, so my surgery probably won't be until end of February/beginning of March. I guess that's fine, but it's the waiting that is going to be hard! I am so ready for this change in my life! :D

akindofmagick
on 1/11/17 7:02 pm - MD

The time will fly by, not to worry!!! Congrats again!!

Most Active
Recent Topics