Low carb waffle

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/17 9:10 pm

So, I made this.....

It looked like a waffle, but the taste and texture was not exactly what one might consider "waffle".  I found that the texture was a bit grainy, but not offensive. The initial taste flavor was mild egg and the finish was a coconut flavor. I will say the flavor and texture grew on me as I ate it. What I like is that I am completely satisfied and maybe just a bit more full than I expected, but I like the fact that I have both a mental and physical sense of satiety. Early out I would have been only able to eat 1/4 to 1/2 of the waffle. It is definitely a pyloric closing food! 

This was not an OMG, what have I been missing recipe. But I will make it again and it was definitely a nice change of pace from my normal protein shake and egg breakfasts. It was also SUPER EASY to make and clean up after.

I can also see how coconut flour might become a staple in a low carb diet. 

Here's the recipe, if you're so inclined. 

Ingredients

2 egg whites plus 1 extra egg white (or 1 whole egg)

2 Tablespoons of coconut flour

2 Tablespoon milk of choice (I used non fat)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

sweetener to taste, optional (I used 1 tsp Splenda)

Directions

Whip 2 of the egg whites to stiff peaks. You can either use a hand mixer, an egg beater, or a whisk if you want a workout. Once you have stiff peaks, stir in the coconut flour, milk of choice, baking powder, sweetener, and either 1 whole egg OR 1 egg white (depending on how much fat you want the waffles to have). Heat up your waffle iron to the highest temperature, and grease or spray it with nonstick spray. Pour in the batter (You can do it in two batches if you need to.), and cook in the waffle iron until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Pull it out, top as desired, and eat!

Stats (Livestrong.com recipe generator):

protein - 13.8 grams; carbs - 11.5; fiber - 7 (net carbs 4.5); fat - 3.2

Total calories 118

The blog from which I got the recipe had different stats: 20 grams protein, 2.5 net carbs, 121 calories

Hippie Lady
on 1/8/17 5:53 am - Warren, OH

This is exactly the type of recipe I find so helpful for losing and maintaining loss.

It looks appealing, is filling and while not the same taste as the high carb version it keeps you from cravings and feeling deprived.

Love the blueberry topping.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/17 7:03 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Yum!  That looks sooooo good.  I agree, this recipe rocks. Always looking for new high protein recipes. Thank you for sharing.

happyteacher
on 1/8/17 7:54 am

This looks terrific Devon, for sure something I will try. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

frisco
on 1/8/17 8:20 am

Eggcellent !!!

Great work Devon !!!

Gives me an idea !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/17 8:44 am

do let me know when you've worked through your idea. I like trying your creations! 

happyteacher
on 1/9/17 5:44 pm

Will do! I need to try and think through a non-sugary topping. That is always my waffle downfall!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NYMom222
on 1/8/17 8:30 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Almost like a waffle omelet, looks good....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

sunny56
on 1/8/17 8:51 am - yonkers, NY

Wow looks good l'my going to try it and let  u you how  it was  s/please vsg 12/13/16 so  not @ this point will let u know  when looking get to that stage  ty

Anita
on 1/8/17 8:05 pm

can you use almond flour? I'm deathly allergic to coconut......well, I could eat this one time.....then my throat would close up and I would surely lose weight after that......LOL

looks yummy......if the substitute would work, for sure I'd try it

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Recent Topics