People's opinions getting to me

AggieMae
on 1/14/17 3:18 pm
VSG on 10/25/16
On January 7, 2017 at 10:44 PM Pacific Time, fiercebynature wrote:

This conversation just made me realize that what I hate the most from people is when they offer me things I shouldn't have - example , my mother  of all people who offers me a piece of pizza or chocolate or something like that . Drives me crazy ?

My fat friends are the worse. I like to say that I've lost about 300 pounds, 43 pounds of fat and one jealous "friend".

Valerie G.
on 1/7/17 2:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

"Since those are things I just can't predict until they happen, I can only say that I look forward to feeling better and hope that I won't be so shallow to let those things keep me awake at night"

How's that for passive-aggressive STFU?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Spanky123
on 1/7/17 4:35 pm

Say , " Yes I'm worried about it! That's the reason I had the surgery, so I could have all that extra skin and wrinkles and look really old!" Tell them to "pray for you!"..lol. Sorry, people are so stupid sometimes. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/7/17 6:43 pm

A polite answer is to tell them "if I ever have to deal with that, then I will decide what to do.". 

Not polite - just ask them "Are you trying to make me feel better about losing weight? Just for the record, it is not working...Can you think of something nice to say? If not, STFU. OK? " 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 1/7/17 6:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am more worried about dying from obesity than I am about excess or wrinkled skin...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Anita
on 1/8/17 8:12 pm

One of my dearest friends always had a good answer for people who were asking questions that were none of their business.....he'd look them straight in the eye and say.............Why do you need to know?

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

McLassie
on 1/9/17 11:21 am
VSG on 07/25/16

Okay, this one baffles me. The loose skin thing happens whether you lose weight from having bariatric surgery or you lose weight by straight calorie restriction. People just see it more with bariatric surgery because those people are more likely to be successful in their weight loss. No weight loss = no loose skin. It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you lose the weight. It has to do with how much weight you've lost, your age, genetics, skin elasticity, etc. 

When I was morbidly obese and I told people that I was going to go back on Weigh****chers and an exercise program, everyone was always like, "HORRAY! GOOD FOR YOU! YOU'RE AMAZING! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! GOOD JOB! WELL DONE!"

When I was morbidly obese and told people I was going to have a Sleeve, actual comments were, "Have you tried the cabbage soup diet?" "Maybe you should try Nutrasystems first." "Don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried dieting?" "Huh." "You look good now!" "You don't have to do this to yourself." "Everyone I know who had THE SURGERY (VBG mostly) has gained all of their weight back and then some." ETC etc etc etc etc. It's maddening. The responses on this thread are good. I just hope that being open and honest with my surgery is going to change some peoples' minds and possibly encourage others to get help.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/17 1:05 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I'm a new guy here, but I've dealt with intrusive people for many years.  One of the best ways to stop someone cold (politely) is to respond to their comments or questions with a question of your own.  For example, when they ask any of the things you mention above, simply look the person in the eye and say, "Why is this any of your concern?"  If they persist, follow up with, "Do you mind if I ask some personal questions of you?"  This will deflect all but the most obtuse.  For that, you will need to get a little more aggressive or less polite.  

I had a man I know ask me bluntly what kind of surgery I had, as in he had no idea if they operated on my stomach or my foot.  Having known him for years, and knowing that he requires the "2x4 to the head approach" to get things to soak in, I replied, "That is on a need to know basis, and I am not sharing that."  This is a slightly softer version of "...and you don't need to know."  He got the message.  Good luck with it.  

Most Active
Recent Topics