People's opinions getting to me

Gwen M.
on 1/9/17 1:20 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

LOL, no.  That was just an example. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AggieMae
on 1/14/17 3:15 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

They get their information from TV. Lots of people, especially young people tone up pretty well. I don't get why people feel so free to discuss my fat or fat loss and offer uninvited opinions. Would they go up to a diabetic and ask how their blood sugars where doing?

Laura in Texas
on 1/7/17 7:24 am

One response I loved was, "Are you interested in weight loss surgery? I can give you my doctor's contact info." It's especially fun to use this one with people who are not obese. It usually shuts them up.

Another thing to remember is to NOT talk about your surgery or weight loss. When you bring up the subject or respond to their questions, they think it gives them permission to ask you these things. Save your weight loss talk for OH.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dawncoates
on 1/7/17 9:43 am
VSG on 12/07/16

My roommate has asked me the same thing many times even when I was trying to lose weight by dieting and now that I have had the surgery she continues to ask me. I now believe it is jealousy of what my future will look like. Try asking the person or people if they would like to exercise with you or if they have any stats on what the future will hold for you. Also you could eliminate the person from your social circle.

jachristmas
on 1/7/17 11:17 am
VSG on 12/14/16

I am occasionally a smart mouth so I would probably be a little rude back and tell them that it is a possibility that I will be saggy and/or wrinkly and that I am happy to accept their donation to my plastic surgery savings fund should they like to make one. Or like the others said, you just have to change the subject and let them know it's not up for discussion.

diane S.
on 1/7/17 1:03 pm

You can say "thanks for your concern, but right now I really need your positive support and not criticizm. Can you help me out?    That might work.  GL     Otherwise tell them  "that stuff is between me and my doctor"    diane.  7 years and still love my sleeve.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Readyjwc
on 1/7/17 1:05 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Here's my reply: "Would you like to set up a GoFundme page for me? I wasn't planning on doing any plastic surgery but if you're offering to help me out, I think about $30K should do. Have at it."

Sorry, but I have no time for rude people.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Dawnyel B.
on 1/7/17 2:37 pm - Whittier, CA

I'm getting back into the game slowly but I saw your post and thought I should answer. People . Are . Rude . I have found it best to not talk to those negative types, unless it's your family of course. If it's your family, I would ask an equally frustrating and humiliating question and after they answer explain it to them that they made you feel like that...sometimes that explains it best.. I'm an old hand at this though and I cant stand people that ask those sorts of questions

fiercebynature
on 1/7/17 2:39 pm

I often hear in my head the song from the Frozen movie- Let it go , when people talk like this , no idea why but I'm beginning to think if I sang it they would leave me alone .

When I feel grumpy, I will often say "well extra skin and wrinkles won't kill me but fat was  so which would you choose? "

When I'm not so grumpy I say that message with a little more tolerance and explanation. 

Other times, I just say  " no idea !" or " this is all so new to me I have no idea "  in other word leave me alone ! 

Hopefully soon those  close to you will just be happy your getting healthy .

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

fiercebynature
on 1/7/17 2:44 pm

This conversation just made me realize that what I hate the most from people is when they offer me things I shouldn't have - example , my mother  of all people who offers me a piece of pizza or chocolate or something like that . Drives me crazy ?

Surgery: 9/2/16 H.W. 340 S.W.254 C W 208

Most Active
Recent Topics