Question about alcohol consumption?

bobjer16
on 1/6/17 3:19 pm

I'm new in this group and just starting my journey. Seems as though alcohol is a no no. I'm a social drinker and like my wine from time to time. Did you all give it up  or do you drink a glass or two? 

Tthanks and happy Friday!

Just starting this journey to a new me.  Finally not dreading the future. 

Bufflehead
on 1/6/17 4:00 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I was allowed to add an occasional drink back in (emphases on "an" and "occasional") when I had reached my goal weight and successfully maintained for a few months. I rarely drink anyway so it wasn't a big deal to me. A couple things to keep in mind -- if you are going to drink, even just occasionally, you need to account for those calories and carbs. Also, many bariatric surgery patients develop what are called "transfer addictions" where we become overly reliant on alcohol, drugs, shopping, or gambling to take some of the place that food used to fill for us. If alcohol is already important to you, consider whether you can maintain a healthy relationship with alcohol once you radically alter your relationship with food. Is this something you should think about if the idea of giving up alcohol is distressing?

bobjer16
on 1/7/17 4:38 pm

Thanks..I have no issue not drinking or occasional use.  

LeapSecond
on 1/6/17 4:01 pm - AR

go to the magnifier glass in top right and type in "alcohol".  

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Grim_Traveller
on 1/6/17 4:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Here is a post from 2 days ago on alcohol.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/6015168/Alcohol/

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

happyteacher
on 1/6/17 5:39 pm

Alcohol can be a dangerous thing for us folks who had wls. We get drunk wicked fast. All that alcohol hits the liver full force and fries it wicked fast. And the rate of alcoholism is wicked high. 

Before wls I very rarely would have a drink- maybe 1 every couple of months. Never drunk nor typsy. I started having a glass of wine here and there a few years after surgery, and shocked at how fast it hits me. Literally very typsy after 1 glass. 2 glasses in close proximity and I am just trashed. I was just talking about this with my husband. I went 6 consecutive Friday nights with have a drink. In my world that is a crazy amount. I hadn't noticed that I had developed a new and very healthy pattern. Not alcoholic, but I don't even want to dip my toe in that path. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/6/17 6:21 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I still drink but nowhere near what I used to drink. The whole social drinking thing went out the window when I had wls. I had to be extremely picky on what occasion I drank for, & hanging out just didn't make the cut. My birthday, yeah, New Years yeah, & even during those times mostly its just nurse the 1 drink, maybe 2. Alcohol hits me much faster & I get tipsy very quickly, so no, not much alcohol consumption, & it was even rarer than that when I was in weight loss mode.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Valerie G.
on 1/7/17 3:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Rapid weight loss is hard on the liver.  Adding alcohol at the same time can cause permanent damage, which is why they recommend waiting a year....for most people's weight loss is slowing down if not stopped all together.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

FuturePinUp
on 1/9/17 12:10 pm

I love my wine and drink it every weekend without any issues. Never had it impact me negatively and my tolerance is exactly the same as before.

What does your doctor say? I was cleared for alcohol 3-months post-op.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

bobjer16
on 1/9/17 3:23 pm

I'm just starting haven't had my surgery yet. 

Most Active
Recent Topics