Almost Cancelled yesterday

Keke288
on 1/5/17 5:46 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Thank you.  Very helpful.

Readyjwc
on 1/6/17 4:57 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Spoken from the heart....good job LostStar.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Gwen M.
on 1/5/17 12:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Sounds like you shouldn't have surgery.  Especially if the pre-surgery process wasn't enough to get you serious or motivated about changing your habits!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jachristmas
on 1/5/17 1:42 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Sooo...all this is a long way of saying I am very ambivalent about this and don't really want to do it, as it is not really a last resort for me as I haven't really tried anything else.  Just feel like I also don't want to spend the rest of my life overweight and want to enjoy my success and time with my husband.

It sounds like you have made your decision, you yourself said you "don't really want to do it", so I would say you definitely are not ready to commit to this. I personally have never thought of WLS as my last resort. I have been wanting this surgery for about 9 years, because I knew it was the tool I needed to take control of my health.On my own I only tried weigh****chers and a Mediterranean diet..sure I lost, but not more than 30 lbs and soon after it was back with more. I researched and thought I desperately wanted the lap band because I was terrified at the thought of bypass and having my intestines changed, but my insurance didn't cover it. I did not do enough research because I had no clue that I had sooo many more options for procedures and ways to make it happen (vsg, self pay, financing,mexico...) You say you are healthy..obesity is not healthy..you just don't have comorbidities, YET! Realistically how long do you think that will last? I didn't have any comorbidities either and I'd like to keep it that way. Surgery isn't the answer for everyone, but only you can decide that for yourself. I was very successful with the preop diet and like to imagine I could have done it on my own but for me I know I made the right choice. Maybe you can. You said you don't want to be overweight, so I would suggest getting help from a counselor and your medical team so you can make the best decision for you. To make a long story short, If you aren't ready cancel the appointment so that it's available for someone who is ready.

Anita
on 1/5/17 3:36 pm

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying.....you probably are just not ready.....

Will you ever be ready to move forward??? Maybe, maybe not, but only you can make that decision. Don't not do it because someone else is against it...this is your life and your body. Do not make decisions for your life based on what is or isn't right for someone else.

You might consider seeing a therapist to have them help you identify what's causing you this anguish and hopefully resolve it.....either way.

Don't be afraid to come here as often as needed to read, ask, answer, mull, evaluate......or whatever you need to do to help you find peace with your decisions. This group, as you've seen is helpful, non-judgmental and experienced. We've had our own issues, some the same as yours, some totally different, but no one has all the answers and certainly no one can tell you what you must do.

Either way you go, best of everything on your journey!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Keke288
on 1/5/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Thank you, Anita.  Very helpful

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/17 4:13 pm

I felt very similar to what your feeling...about 3 years ago. I was even pissed that my PCP would even suggest surgery to me. I went to the seminar and i said heck no!! I cant do this! So i spent 2 full years trying to diet and exercise and fell in love with fitness but the more time i spent in the gym the hungrier i was! I know what to eat to lose weight and i know how to exercise but my issue was when i put them both together the cravings kick in big time. I spent 2 years struggling to balance the two. But im so happy i spent that time learning about nutrition and fitness because that is what is going to help me post op. I wasnt ready and i waited almost 3 years before deciding i could use a tool like VSG... theres nothing wrong with waiting. You dont want to have any regrets

Keke288
on 1/5/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 01/09/17

Thank you. This was very helpful

Laura in Texas
on 1/5/17 4:31 pm

I go back to Weigh****chers this time every year. Weight loss surgery is not magic. Repeat that to yourself a million bajillion times until it is embedded into your brain. Just because someone has had surgery, it does not mean he/she will lose weight and keep it off forever. We have to work hard to stay at goal.

I go to Weigh****chers: 1)because I am a lifetime member below goal and meetings for me are free 2) I like the support 3) it gets my mind back in the game after the craziness and bad food choices of the holiday season.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 1/5/17 5:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Why do you go to Weigh****chers every year? Because you are responsible, dedicated, and determined to control your health. That, and you kick ass.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics