Sharing the news?

Meghan704
on 1/4/17 2:09 pm
VSG on 06/16/15

--exactly.

yvranx42
on 1/18/17 8:00 am
VSG on 02/01/17

Just a quick update if anyone is interested...

I opted to send out an email to my team this past Friday to let them know I would be out for a minor medical procedure, would be completely unavailable for three days. Then would be out of the office another two weeks but available if needed. I sent it at the end of the day, and I was out of the office on Monday.

I only had one person come to specifically ask me about it, and it was out of concern. She's had some medical issues that she has shared with me, so it wasn't out of place or uncomfortable to discuss with her in more detail. Other than that, all I've had are comments regarding what they can do to help while I'm away. I'd say it all worked out pretty well!

As a side note that wasn't part of the initial discussion - I struggled a little bit with how to share the news with our kids. My daughters are 7 and 9, and we also have 3 nieces/nephews (aged 10-13) spend a lot of time with us (they are our other 3 kids). I opted to sit down with all five of them, including my wife, and told them exactly what was happening. They had great questions, and we even drew a diagram of what happens with the VSG surgery for them. My nephew (13, who plays football, offensive lineman) asked jokingly if he could get it too!! They were great, very understanding and supportive (though one of my daughters got a little grossed out by some of the detail). Figured full disclosure was the way to go with them since they are going to see all the changes first hand.

Thanks again to everyone *****plied and gave advice! My surgery is exactly two weeks away now, can't wait!!

akindofmagick
on 1/18/17 8:58 am - MD

Congratulations!! The next two weeks will fly by, and you'll be joining us on the loser's bench in no time!!  :)

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics