Researching and considering VSG

landy
on 12/21/16 1:35 pm

Hello All,

I've been reading a lot of posts today and feel really good about joining this forum.  Since September, I've been doing research and considering VSG.  For my entire life, I've struggled with my weight.  I have done Weigh****chers 3 times, then life happens and I can't afford the monthly fee or have time to get to the meetings. At one point I was down to my healthy weight of 164.  Now, I'm back to 275.  I have a lot of questions and hope you can help me. 

How long before you returned to work?

How did you take to having to puree your food?

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? 

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support?

How long before you were able to return to normal activity?

I'm sure I have many more questions, but this is a start. 

Thank you all!

Stacy_WLS
on 12/21/16 2:15 pm

Welcome! 

I'll give your questions a go :)

Time off work:

I took off 8 weeks from work - b/c my short term disability allowed it and my job required 80% travel and insane work hours.  i could have gone back about a week after, two weeks would have been better b/c of the fatigue. 

Puree Food:

This is such a blip in time.  Really you are doing this for like a week.  I remember puree up meat loaf from boston market.  It sounds gross, but I was dying for some meat and I LOVED it.  Don't let this stop you - it's one or two weeks out of your entire life.

Comfortable w/ Decision:

Yes.  I did it over 3 years ago and am typing this in a hospital in Tijuana -- my husband was sleeved yesterday.  I would do it again -- except I'd probaby save ~$10K by going to mexico myself.  

Support:

My family supported my decision -- they kabosched the whole Mexico this but.  My mom came to be with me during the surgery and the week after.  They lie ~1000 miles away, so it was nice to have someone stay with me.  I lived alone / with my 6 year old son at the time, so other than the few days after surgery, I was taking care of myself.  

Normal Activity: 

I had the surgery on 12/12 I believe and I went downhill Skiing over new years.  You can't lift weights for I believe 6-8 weeks, but other activity you are back within a couple of weeks.  

Good luck with your decision!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Hippie Lady
on 12/21/16 2:19 pm, edited 12/21/16 6:20 am - Warren, OH
On December 21, 2016 at 9:35 PM Pacific Time, landy wrote:

How long before you returned to work? 1 week

How did you take to having to puree your food? 2 weeks liquids and 2 weeks puree

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? - Best ever made

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? - A bit, but it was my journey and my responsibility. 

How long before you were able to return to normal activity? Walking, driving, housework - after 3 days.  Work in one week.  Weight-lifting and gym after six weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 12/21/16 2:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I wasn't working when I had VSG, but I would have been fine to return to most any job after 2 weeks.  I did not feel up to taking my dad to chemo the week after my surgery.  

Puree was super easy.  It was so great to be finished with liquids!  I just cooked dinner for my family and pureed a few portions for myself.  Here's the stuff I ate with recipe links.  

100% comfortable.  I've never regretted it, even for a moment.  Kindest thing I've ever done for myself.  

I only told a few people pre-op.  My parents, my brother, my partners, and my three best friends.  Everyone was super supportive.  But... the people who know me also know that I'm not to be dissuaded once I make up my mind to do something :D

I dunno, define normal?  I went to a movie a week post-op.  I was only allowed to walk for the first 6 weeks post op and then I was learned for all activity.  The new normal for activity is way higher than the old normal was.  So I don't know that I've ever returned to the old normal!  

You didn't ask this, but I'll give you more thoughts.  It's important to remember than the surgery is just on your stomach.  It's not a panacea.  People say here over and over that the surgery fixes your stomach and not your brain.  Here's a post I wrote about that.  

And here are the promises I made myself pre-op.  

And welcome!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/22/16 4:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

How long before you returned to work? I took 2 weeks off, then worked from home for 2 (I have a desk job).  Physically I could have been back in 1.  The extra time off and being at home helped me figure out the eating/drinking.

How did you take to having to puree your food? My surgeon has us fully on puréed food for about a month, then slowly transitioning to soft foods over the next month and finally transitioning to whatever sits okay.

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? Best decision I ever made! Not only have I lost the weight, but in some ways I enjoy food more because I don't eat until I hurt or don't taste it.  

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? I had support but it was fully my decision.  I would have done it regardless and they knew that.  They became even more supportive as they saw how easy the surgery was for me and how successful.

How long before you were able to return to normal activity?  Probably 4 weeks.  I went to Aruba at about 10 weeks and had a great time (no restrictions, I just ate less). 

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Valerie G.
on 12/22/16 4:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hi Landy,

First, I'll start off disclosing that I had the DS 11 years ago, but hang here because I have the same  stomach (but with added intestinal adjustment for malabsorption) as the VSG's and these peeps are pretty cool and more active than my DS board.  

How long before you returned to work?

I took 8 weeks off of work, and I'm very glad that I did.  My recovery was perfect and my open incision was closed in only two weeks, but it seemed to take forever for me to get my head back in the game again.  Some people struggle with critical thinking for several weeks.  Others bounce back quickly.  I recommend taking 4 weeks off, with an understanding that you may need more or less.

How did you take to having to puree your food?

I never had to.  I was in the hospital for 4 days following my surgery, and eating soft foods the day I went home with instructions to eat what I wanted, starting first with foods that were smooshable with a fork as a gauge for tenderness. (I didn't have to smoosh, but it was an easy measure)

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? 

I couldn't be happier with my long-term results.  My starting weight was 286, and today I hover around 160-165.

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support?

Most definitely.  Some were worried, but supported me.  I'm stubborn, so they knew there was no changing my mind even if they didn't

How long before you were able to return to normal activity?

When I returned to work at 8 weeks post-op, I hit the ground running and never looked back.  I started feeling more like myself around 6 weeks.  The recommendation is nothing more than 8 lbs to lift/push/pull for 8 weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rachelp
on 12/22/16 7:40 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Welcome!

How long before you returned to work? 1 week

How did you take to having to puree your food? wasn't bad. I ate pureed soups, refried beans w/cheese, and ricotta bake. Never pureed meat lol

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? Best thing I ever did for myself and my family!!!

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? I didn't tell my family. My husband is supportive and thrilled with the results  

How long before you were able to return to normal activity? I was out and about the day after I was released from the hospital. I was out shopping during my week off before returning to work. I stopped pain meds after I left hospital. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

dcapurz
on 12/22/16 8:13 am - NJ
VSG on 02/23/16

Hi Landy, Welcome!  The truth is, for me at least, that it is very hard to lose weight and keep it off. I had wanted to get WLS for the last 10 years but could not due to insurance issues. Finally this year, I was able to get on a plan at work that covered the surgery. I knew that this was my chance to finally get the surgery and get healthy.  So... i had my surgery in Feb of this year. down 90 pounds since and it was one of the best decisions of my life !! i would do it again in a heart beat. 

i was in the hospital for like 3 days, my surgery was on a Tuesday and i was let out on that Thursday night. i actually went back to work on the following Monday working half a day. It was difficult only because of the fatigue. There was not much pain and it got better day by day. Its true what they say, you have to sip sip sip and walk walk walk. It makes you feel so much better.

The pureed foods were not bad, you can pretty much eat anything that you can put in the blender and you will be happy to eat the pureed foods because that means that you will have moved up from liquids. It goes quickly, you are pretty much taking about a week or two between stages and also, its how well you can tolerate and how much. I started with about 2 ounces and slowly but surely moved up to 3 and 4.

I am so happy with my decision, i know that i would have never been able to lose weight without it. i never had the willpower, i would start a diet and cheat by dinner time. I loved rice and beans and i loved soda... things i no longer crave and dont even miss. 

I didnt tell many people prior to surgery, i just didnt want to know any ones opinion, it really didnt matter, i wanted to do this for me and i did.  

My family and friends have all been very supportive, and i have been honest with anyone that has asked me how i have lost weight, its not easy as many people may think but it is worth it !!!

i want to say that i was myself after about 1 month, this is the best thing that you can do for yourself, if you have any other questions, feel free, i still have everything fresh in my mind. i am not even 1 year post op . i am actually 10 months post op tomorrow and I AM THE HAPPIEST with myself that i have ever been.  ( starting weight was 245,-250  currently 157 )

GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana 

lizzy_VSG
on 12/22/16 1:03 pm
VSG on 11/17/16

Hi Landy, 

I'm five weeks post surgery and I've feeling great. 

How long before you returned to work? I only took a week off of work. 

How did you take to having to puree your food? My Dr. had me on 3 weeks pureed, in fact I have 1 more week left of pureed food. I had 3 weeks of liquids, followed by 3 weeks of pureed, then next week I could move on to food. I haven't mind this stage. 

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? Yes!!! I know I'm fairly new, but in 5 weeks I have lost 32 pounds and just this small amount has given me so much energy. I find myself doing more with my family, before I was so tired and never wanted to do anything. I have a 3 year old son and I find myself playing more activities with him and have stopped asking my husband to play with him because I couldn't. 

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? My husband himself had VSG 2 years ago, so he was fully supportive and it was nice to have someone who understood what I was going through. My parents and close friends have all be on board with my changes. 

How long before you were able to return to normal activity? Honestly, I think around week 2-3 I felt pretty comfortable to do anything, but I  had to keep in mind my doctor restrictions of no lifting, exercise, except for walking. I stopped taking the pain meds a day after I left the hospital. I found myself wanting to do everything and had to slow myself down. I'm excited to start an exercise routine, I have my 6 week follow-up next week and hope to be clear to do everything. 

Good Luck in whatever you decide. It took me a year to decided and the only regret I have is not doing it sooner. 

akindofmagick
on 12/22/16 1:15 pm - MD

How long before you returned to work? After one week I went back 6 hours a day for a week, then full time after that.

How did you take to having to puree your food? I never pureed anything in a blender. Ate mashed black beans and cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt, protein pudding, cottage cheese, ricotta, etc. I did eat a few tiny bites of chicken, but I just chewed it until it was fully mashed before swallowing. As others have said, this is a non-issue.

Are you feeling comfortable with your decision? One of the best decisions of my life!! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Did you have a lot of family/spouse support? NO. But they've changed their tune since. (as is typical for my very conservative family)

How long before you were able to return to normal activity? I have a new normal, and it's far superior to the old, pre-surgery one.

Keep researching, and good luck!

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics