5 months post-op woes/Hair loss and belly button!?

honeywell
on 12/21/16 6:50 am

Good morning, friends! Hope you all are doing well.

I am five months post-op, 80 pounds down (!!!!!) and experiencing two issues. HAIR LOSS! Ugh. I was hoping to avoid this but I am losing an alarming amount of hair every time I wash. I have been sticking with my vitamins (including Biotin) and protein intake, but apparently I was destined for it. I have nearly waist length hair and only wa**** about once a week, because that's all I really need. If anyone has tips on hair loss, I'd be very grateful! I know I have to just ride it out, but any advice would be appreciated. 

Also, an odd topic, but I seem to be having a lot of issues with my BELLY BUTTON. I'm not understanding whether or not it is coinciding with my surgery/weight loss or if it's just coincidence? I have a lot of, and please excuse the TMI, gross, smelly fluid coming out of my belly button. Some mornings it's crusty and just awful! It also comes with a bit of soreness. Has anyone experienced this? I have been making sure to keep it clean, use a little Neosporin and not wear any kind of tight clothing. But, it seems to keep happening. 

Thank you all!

Rachel B.
on 12/21/16 7:05 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

If your belly button incision is still having drainage this far after surgery, I would definitely tell the surgeon.  I would bet its a suture that didn't dissolve that is still irritating the site.  But the surgeon should look at it.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

honeywell
on 12/21/16 7:11 am

I don't have a belly button incision per se. One of my incisions is about an inch or two above my belly button. 

Lodie
on 12/21/16 7:18 am
VSG on 10/15/14

Hello, Just a thought regarding the belly button. You can try cleaning it with peroxide every morning for a few days to get any infection cleared up. It may be a moist humid environment and related to a fungal infection. You could also try putting some cotton inside to prevent the skin from touching and keep it dried completely out for a few days. Call your doc and start to document the issue. It could later be a reason for your insurance to cover a tummy tuck, if you chose to pursue it. How is that for making lemonade from lemons?

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

honeywell
on 12/21/16 7:32 am

Great suggestions! Thanks so much!

rachelp
on 12/21/16 9:12 am
VSG on 08/01/16

My belly button does this if I don't make sure and dry it real well after showers. You skin is probably sagging so your belly button is not getting air circulation that it needs to stay dry. I wipe mine with wet wipes and fan dry with my hand. 

Hair loss...nothing you can do. Cut your hair shorter and it won't look as thin.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

rachelp
on 12/21/16 9:14 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Oh! and take pictures of the infection and email it to yourself for a time stamp. This will help if you want insurance to pay for a plastic procedure.

Valerie G.
on 12/21/16 9:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For the hair loss, it has nothing to do with vitamins or protein (google Telogen Effluvium), so you just ride it out.  If you've ever considered a makeover, thought, now would be the time.  Some layers will help blend in the new hairs emerging that are pushing out the old. Add some highlights and enjoy that well deserved boost to your self-esteem.  

For the belly button, it sounds like a yeast infection.  You can use either jock-itch or athletes foot cream in the area, tuck a paper towel in there to suck up moisture and it will clear up in a few days.  You can do the same thing if you notice a rash happening in folds of skin or underneath breasts.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Naomi S.
on 12/21/16 5:35 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

I began having the same issue with my belly button around the same time. My surgeon suggested using the blow dryer to really get it dry in there after showering, and putting a cotton ball in there, covered with a bandaid to keep it in, to wick out any moisture. No issues since. 

Hth!

Naomi

Snoopybaby
on 12/26/16 6:02 pm

As a nurse you need to call and let the surgeon know of the gross smelling discharge that is a sign of infection and needs to be treated good be not fully healed from surgery is it hot and red do you have a fever 

Teresa 

Most Active
Recent Topics