Ability to critical think, problem solve, and concentrate

Donna L.
on 12/21/16 6:46 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I went back to my job one week later, as well as started the clinical internship for my MA.  I work in suicide and risk assessment, and my clinical internship involved populations with higher acuity than the average one.  I did have horrible mood swings from increased estrogen (from the weight loss) which were inconvenient, however we addressed them immediately and I was fine.

14 days is definitely doable.  A bigger concern is, at least at the college where I worked as a grad assistant, there was food annoyingly everywhere. I think, strange as it sounds, more time off helps for more behavior acclimation.  I am weird however because the day of my surgery I also unintentionally was watching Food Network, so clearly I have personal food issues!  Having said that, I also have an eating disorder which is a further confound.  It is still funny in retrospect.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/21/16 6:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm a computer geek, and I found that the exhaustion killed me more than anything specifically surgery-related. I could make it through the workday, but I had to take a nap every day after I got home from work for the first few months post-op.

Serious pain meds will give you the brain fuzzies, but most people seem to be off those before the end of two weeks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/21/16 1:08 pm

I am a run a business. It took me app 2 months to be back to myself.  i was Ok socially app 1 week after..driving etc. - but with details - and photographic memory  not so much during first 2-3 months.I learned to really use my calendar.  I wrote down everything... or took a picture and setup reminders on my phone. 

app 3 months after - i was more or less me.. but thinner. 

dehydration, low sodium, BS fluctuation, even pain - taht made my brain less "flexible" . And with so many new things postop - learning how to eat and drink again, when and what vitamins to take.. that took some of my  "brain power " away from my work. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

happyteacher
on 12/23/16 6:19 am

I went back exactly 2 weeks after surgery without difficulty on that end of it. What I found actually was quite the opposite. Two weeks was enough time to lift the mental fog/haze that I had going on from too much carbs/blood sugar issues. I did have to really watch blood sugar going low (and when low I was not very sharp), but aside from that it was all good. Really good. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics