Advice For Getting Back On Track?

Casqueraded
on 12/19/16 9:26 am
VSG on 03/14/16

I'm 9 months post op.  Went from 370 lbs. on day of surgery to roughly 255 lbs, which is where I've been stuck for the past month.  I've been falling back on old, pre-surgery habits like drinking carbonation, and I can eat more than I used to be able to when I first had surgery.  I'm worried I might be stretching my sleeve.  Additionally, losing weight was easier when I could consider walking my exercise, but now I have a busy retail job where I walk constantly for up to ten hours a day, and I haven't lost at all since starting the job.  I spend my days off resting my aching feet.  How can I incorporate different types of exercise that wouldn't be too hard on my feet?  Also, I really need some tips for getting back on track because at this point I've been straying so much from my surgeon's plan and I've made so much progress but I'm not finished yet!!  

Gwen M.
on 12/19/16 9:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

In good news, exercise is only a very minor part of weight loss.  Diet is where it's at!  For exercise, try doing things like yoga and pilates - those will help with core strength, flexility, and balance, but not put overdue strain on your feet.  You could also swim if you'd prefer something on the cardio side of things.  

To get back on track, first I recommend that you start tracking everything you put into your mouth.  You need to know when you're eating and where your calories are coming from.  Use something like MyFitnessPal to figure this out.  

From there, get back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours are probably similar but might be slightly different.  If it feels to overwhelming to do them all at once, try picking one and adding it in for a few days before adding in the next.  You CAN do this.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
      a. Do not drink while eating or for 30 minutes after eating
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions, log everything consumed
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/19/16 10:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You're not "stretching your sleeve," it's simply matured. By 9 months to a year, everything is healed, swelling is down, and you're got a slightly larger capacity than you did immediately post-op. This is absolutely normal.

If you want exercise that keeps you off your feet, swimming, cycling, and yoga are all great choices!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Joshua H.
on 12/19/16 10:19 am
VSG on 10/26/16

I'm not that far out, but I've gleaned the following from reading lots of posts here:

1. Measure/record EVERYTHING that finds it's way into your mouth
  2. Lean protein first
  3. Lean protein second, in case you missed #2
  4. No drinking with, or after meal (30 minutes)
  5. Keep caloric intake below (some # that is appropriate for you)

That's the mechanical way to get back on track.  For motivation, etc...

I look at pictures of people who've "done it."  I find it extremely motivating that this task can be accomplished by others, therefore it could likely be accomplished by me.

I read stories of people who've "done it."  I can find a common thread with almost any person when I read their story.  If they can, then so can I (is my thinking).

I think about the things I'm going to do when I lose another XX pounds.

I check myself out in the mirror.

I look at old pictures of myself.

I consider updating my progress pictures -- but then the thought of dragging the tripod and extra lighting out makes that just a thought.

I try and think of something that I can do now, that was difficult/impossible 6 months ago (I bowled for the first time in YEARS on Friday).

I go shopping -- not necessarily to buy anything, but for acknowledgement that I have the option to buy something from Casual Male XL (or as I've always called it -- "Large and In Charge," "Chunky and Funky," "Fat and All That," or "Big Boned and Toned").  The fact that I know I can walk into Walmart and they will have jeans that I can buy and fit into that aren't it the "Overly Jolly" section of the men's department is something that really makes me happy.  I said recently "I think I'm going to have to break up with Casual Male XL."  That is one of my major NSVs that I am looking forward to.

Lastly -- try and remember why you got the surgery.  Try and remember what you had to go through (emotionally, physically, insurance-hoop-jumpingly) to get to where you are, and decide if it is important that your decision to do this was the right one.

Again, I'm not even 2 months out, so I'm still in my "honeymoon phase."  It doesn't bother me that VSG doesn't turn out the lights or leaves their clothes on the floor.   I don't even care when VSG drinks all the milk and puts the empty carton back in the fridge.  Hopefully, when I am in a rut, I will remember what I typed here.

Readyjwc
on 12/23/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

LOL - you are just way too funny!

Thanks for the post!

My surgery is in January 2017.

Keep going from NH!

Stacy_WLS
on 12/19/16 10:34 am

If you don't eat what your doctor's plan recommends then it isn't surprising that you feel like you might have stretched your sleeve.  There are certain foods -- carb heavy -- which do not get good restriction.  

It is surprisingly different the amount of food I can eat (3+ years out) depending on what I choose:

• grilled chicken breast & green vegetables (can not finish a salad plate sized portion )
  • carb w/ some meat and veg -- (full salad plate portion +  -- and then can eat again in an hour)
  • salty carby snacks -- I'm a bottomless pit for these items -- no restriction

Go back to just eating meat and non-starchy veggies and do not drink while eating and I be your will feel the restriction snap back.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

rachelp
on 12/19/16 11:06 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I can only eat about 2-1/2 to 3 oz of meat but I can eat a whole bag of popcorn easy. You feel out of control because you are eating carbs and the more carbs you eat the more you crave them. When I eat carbs I feel like I can eat all day and never be satisfied. You can do this! Back to meat and veggies only. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

diane S.
on 12/19/16 12:39 pm

well the others are right about eating less being the key. Avoid carbs like the plague except those in fruits and veggies. 

There are exercises you can do sitting down like riding a bike or lifting arm weights while sitting. Don't blame you for wanting to rest aching feet.    GL Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Donna L.
on 12/19/16 9:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I find I'm hungrier with carbonation so I've been skipping it.  Dunno if it's just a correlation or not.

Everyone gave you good advice already.  I will only add: don't forget to be gentle.  We all make mistakes.  We all lapse.  We are all human.  The best way to get back on track is to stand up and go forward, and not waste time on bad habits.  Catch yourself and move forward.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

comeundone
on 12/20/16 8:06 am - OH

If you have been stuck for a month your fine I understand your frustration but I can almost guarantee your body is just readjusting if you measure you might see a difference there the scale stops sometimes I eat 4 times what I could when I was a year out but it's still not a "normal" portion I drink carbonation both full sugar and diet drinks and I love carbs (not eating them right now getting ready for plastics) I work retail now so I understand feet hurting but the standing might be adding muscle which weighs more than fat I'm 5+ years out and really don'****ch what I eat or exercise often but if I have time I try to walk maybe if you can get some very light ankle weights and wear them a hour or two a day while working,yes it will add to your feet hurting some but you will adjust quickly just don't over do it

HW 289  SW 242

Most Active
Recent Topics