So frustrated, need some encouragement

Jmccpnp
on 12/15/16 1:28 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

I am going to the nutritionist tomorrow. She thinks I am on a good trajectory but I feel it is all too slow. I know I cannot compare myself to others but it is difficult not to. I had VSG on 6/29/16 and now am down 54 lbs. 

I am not exercising regularly but I am not inactive either. I struggle to eat enough because I am never hungry. I feel good, I think I am looking pretty good. I just want the weight to be more consistently down.

Surgery weight was 257 now 203...oh so close to 1something. Cannot wait to see it read 199. My goal weight is 160 and I am 5'6".

Any advice?

Thank you

rachelp
on 12/15/16 1:42 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

There are others on here that are slow losers. Yes frustrating I'm sure but it's not bad. Also it seems the "lighter" people tend to lose slower than the heavier ones. The only thing I can recommend is if you are eating carbs then stop. Are you tracking your calories? Get the My Fitness Pal app if you don't already have it and track everything you eat. I stay around 800 calories a day.

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Jmccpnp
on 12/15/16 1:44 pm
VSG on 06/29/16

Thank you. I have MFP and stay between 600-800 calories a day and I keep it protein and vegetables, mostly protein. I think I just need to accept the slowness and be happy that I am losing and healthy!

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/16 1:46 pm

One thing I did learn is we can't compare ourselves to others. You can relate to them on certain aspects but comparing can really make you pissed.

Look at NSVs they help a lot when things don't look like they are going your way. 

You will get to your goal just keep doing what you are supposed to.

Cathy H.
on 12/15/16 2:05 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Exercising will help.  I freaking HATE to exercise, and never did before, but I force myself to now because I know that a) it's good for me, and b) it helps to facilitate weight loss.  I have degenerative arthritis in my knees, so am limited to what I can do.  But I walk when I can find a flat level surface (orthopod's orders), otherwise I use my recumbent bike.  I just have to push myself, but I get it done.  And I know when I'm not exercising like I should...the scale shows it.  I haven't felt good the last week, and haven't exercised hardly at all.  Result?  I'm at a stall.  Now that I'm feeling better, back on the bike I go!!  Hopefully I'll see some lower numbers by next week.

Hang in there, it's a hard row to hoe, but one day at a time and we'll all make it!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Jmccpnp
on 12/17/16 2:33 am
VSG on 06/29/16

Thank you. I actually love exercise! Before surgery I was running, doing races and triathlons. Now I am having a hard time finding time due to job and also not being able to do what I used to due to not enough calories. I discussed fueling for my exercise with nutritionist yesterday so I don't get that shaky bonk feeling. I just need to make it my priority and ease back into what I can do. It is hard to run on 600 cals. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/15/16 2:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

WLS is not a way to lose weight quickly-- it is a way to lose weight and KEEP it off.

We did not gain all of our weight in a day, we sure won't lose it all in a day either. Losing weight too fast can put a lot of stress on your body, so slow and steady is the way to go.

Could you have lost 54lb before surgery... and kept it off? Probably not, so keep plugging along and you'll eventually get to "onederland" soon enough :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

LostStar
on 12/16/16 3:48 am, edited 12/15/16 7:59 pm

If you can, sketch in some time for strength training. Your skin needs something to cling to when the fat disappears and could minimize loose skin. Also, when you build muscle you're actually speeding up your metabolism since you will burn calories long after you finish working out. You don't have to go all Hulk over there, but get some resistance bands and simple little hand weights, and while watching tv or maybe on the commercial breaks, challenge yourself in doing a few reps. Same thing with squats, crunches, and pushups.

This is probably the only time it's good for me to have OCD. I'll want to get thirty reps in, before my show will come back on.

I know this is stuff you probably already know, but thought it couldn't hurt to put it out here anyway. But think, you are almost in your 100's again. Good for you! Hell, I'd sell my neighbor's wife for just a day in onederland again...I'm not even kidding. You're doing phenomenal!!!

Rachel B.
on 12/16/16 5:27 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I didn't see it mentioned, but if it was, I apologize for the duplication.  Are you taking your measurements?  When I was in my initial weight loss phase, my mom and I would take measurements every single week.  On weeks when weight loss was slow, this could be a big encouragement.

Keep doing the right things and it will all catch up!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Stacy_WLS
on 12/16/16 8:28 am

Honestly losing slowly might be the best option.  I lost all my weight in ~6 months or so then transferring so quickly to maintenance was hard.  Keep at it.  If you feel good and your medical team is happy with your progress then you are for sure on the right track.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics