I am a little puzzled - Cholesterol levels

psychoticparrot
on 11/30/16 5:56 pm

High cholesterol runs in my mother's family, whether we're obese or thin. My pre-op total cholesterol was almost 300. After surgery, it steadily dropped for the first year to a low of 181, and my doctor took me off Zocor. A few months later the number went back up to 282, so I had to go back on Zocor.

I don't have a clue about why my levels fluctuated like this, especially since I've been eating carefully ever since the surgery and my weight loss was pretty steady. I'll see my surgeon in a few weeks and will be sure to ask him. 

So the answer to your question is yes, other sleevers (well, one at least!) has gone through this.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Shel25
on 12/1/16 6:01 am

That total cholesterol number is a messy number, there are a lot of things that go into it.  To my eye, 197 and 202 are exactly the same number but the composition of what makes up that number might be different.  

As others have said, cholesterol is much more genetic than most people realize.  

Bottom line, that raw cholesterol number you have there is aok.  It is not that high in itself.  Let it go and watch over a long period of time (year) for changes.  And, if it doesn't change, that doesn't mean you have done anything wrong.  It is just genetics.  Also, tho I don't know the other cholesterol numbers, it is very VERY unlikely to need any sort of treatment. 

Go worry about something else.....there is always something else :) 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

SherBear1481
on 12/1/16 9:31 am
VSG on 06/29/16

I had my 3 month post op blood work done and my cholesterol had gone up. I too was frustrated and shocked. My surgeon told me it was completely normal and not to panic. I am getting my 6 month blood work done in a couple of weeks, so hopefully the # has gone down! 

Secrets224
on 12/1/16 9:57 am
VSG on 09/27/16

Thank you all for your input. This has put me at ease, especially since I am not alone! Thanks again!!! 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*

stacyrg
on 12/5/16 2:45 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

My cholesterol was 154 at my pre surgery appointment.  A year later, it was up to 307.  Although we tested it frequently thereafter, it kept climbing to an all time high of 316.  After I got to goal (and after I revised to RNY to treat my GERD) my numbers dropped back into the normal range.  My total cholesterol is 153, Triglycerides 25, HDL 73 and LDL 75.  I eat a ton (relatively speaking) of red meat and other meat proteins.  Like many others here, I don't believe that cholesterol in food increases your blood cholesterol.

diane S.
on 12/7/16 11:45 am

I have heard of a few people who had their cholesterol go up while losing weight, then normalize.

My cholesterol is high - like 240 - and I can't take statins due to side effects.  But the good news is my HDL is as high or even higher than the LDL so doctor thinks thats fine, Triglycerides are normal. Go figure. I bet your numbers come down over time and the ratio is supposed to be the important thing. I am 7 years out and its been this way since I got to goal.   Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics