Can anyone answer me a question?

Mnbear8486
on 11/25/16 3:49 pm
VSG on 11/09/16

Ok, here is my question.I am 15 days post op.  Why am I still hungry?  I follow the plan. I drink my water.  I am doing what I am told but why am I still hungry? I am sorry for whining.  Thanks in advance.

rocky513
on 11/25/16 5:20 pm - WI

Are you on an acid reducer like Prilosec or Nexium?  Stomach acid can mimic hunger.

Are you sure it's actual hunger, or are you experiencing "head hunger"?  It can be really hard to tell the difference early out from surgery. Getting the head stuff figured out is the hardest part of the journey.  Breaking old eating patterns is really difficult.  Just keep measuring your portions out and then stop eating, even if you feel like you could eat more.  Measuring every thing you eat is the only way to retrain yourself to learn what a proper portion size looks like.  We obese folks have no idea what proper portions look like.  If we did, we wouldn't need surgery.

Just keep working your program.  It really does get better.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Rachel B.
on 11/25/16 6:30 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

It can also take a little time for your body to deplete all the residual grehlin that is still in your system immediately following the surgery.  You're still healing.  It's easy for me to say be patient, but really, patience is what it's gonna take for a little while.  Stay here for support!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Donna L.
on 11/25/16 6:50 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It depends what kind of hunger it is.  We have physiological hunger as well as psychological hunter.  Ghrelin is typically indicated, but hunger is very hormone dependent.  For instance, often insulin will pique hunger far more than ghrelin, if you are eating carbohydrate especially.  You will be hungrier, even post sleeve, eating refried beans than plain greek yogurt.  Even during the soft food and pureed phases its better to emphasize protein over carby choices.  Sadly, most of us do best without excessive carbs in the long run, especially with the sleeve. 

Having said that, hunger can also be caused by excessive stomach acid as was mentioned.  Many of us are on a PPI post-op for that reason.  Acid can cause ridiculous hunger pangs.

It can also be head hunger.  When we are accustomed to eating at certain times of day we will become hungry even if we are not actually in need of physical food.  Are you busy when hungry or bored?  Is it a time that you used to eat during?  What are your habits at the times of day you feel hunger?

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 11/25/16 6:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Your stomach is still healing, so the nerves aren't telling you the truth.  

It could be stomach acid, which can mimic hunger. 

It might be your brain lying to you.  

Ghrelin is produced elsewhere in the body, so it's not like the VSG magically makes you never hunger again.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mnbear8486
on 11/25/16 7:01 pm
VSG on 11/09/16

Thanks folks.  The responses help.  I am thinking it is all in my head.  I am taking my omeprazole as I should so I am thinking it is head hunger.  

hollykim
on 11/26/16 7:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 25, 2016 at 11:49 PM Pacific Time, Mnbear8486 wrote:

Ok, here is my question.I am 15 days post op.  Why am I still hungry?  I follow the plan. I drink my water.  I am doing what I am told but why am I still hungry? I am sorry for whining.  Thanks in advance.

drink all you can. Dehydration mimics hunger. 

Head hunger... are you thinking of all the yummy stuff you would like to have? That is head hunger. If you are satisfied, even temporarily after your liquids, it is likely head hunger.and not real hunger.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/26/16 10:05 pm
I don't know....I have the DS (but that is a VSG with BPD-DS) and i'm always hungry....unless I don't eat and then I'm not hungry. If I don't have breakfast...I can literally go all day without eating and not be hungry....but the moment I eat...I want to eat all day.

It's weird...eating = being hungry...but if I don't eat ....I won't be hungry.

This is how I've been since I was 6 months out from surgery.

As others said, you are healing and some of it might be head hunger. Hope that you are one of the "lucky ones" that is never hungry and has to "force themselves"to eat.

Scott
Most Active
Recent Topics