Recipe for Ratatouille

psychoticparrot
on 11/21/16 7:11 am

I'm not a particularly enthusiastic or competent cook, so when I discover a recipe that delivers a lot of flavor with minimal effort, I feel compelled to post it. I like this particular recipe for ratatouille because the result is not soupy, as so many are. It can be served on a plate as a side to the protein du jour.

Roasted Ratatouille

• 1 large or 2 small zucchini
  • 1 medium eggplant, peeled
  • 2 red or green bell peppers, cores removed
  • 4 large plum tomatoes
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Several tablespoons tomato paste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or stick-free aluminum foil. Wash zucchini, peppers and tomatoes; then chop them and the eggplant into 1-inch pieces. Put vegetables and minced garlic in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour olive oil over and toss everything until every piece is coated with oil. Spread mixture on prepared sheet, allowing the vegetables to pile onto each other a bit. Bake 40 minutes or until onions and tomatoes are soft and just beginning to brown at the edges. Remove from oven, gently spread tomato paste over vegetables and stir gently to mix it in. Serve warm or at room temperature. It can be seasoned further with chopped fresh basil before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. Ratatouille can be served plain, sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese, or added to scrambled eggs or an omelette.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Rachel B.
on 11/21/16 7:47 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I wondered what this was!  Thank you for sharing!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Anita
on 11/21/16 8:06 am

I love Ratatouille....and this recipe sounds fabulous.........lots healthier than the one I've been using for years.....will definitely give it a try soon. Thanks so much for sharing!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/21/16 8:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oooh, I bet this would be really good on top of grilled chicken. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/16 5:56 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Yum, your recipe sounds delicious.  Have it written down so a few weeks down the road I can make.  Thank you!

Most Active
Recent Topics