Feed a cold?

JoeyJo
on 11/14/16 10:41 am - NJ

I have a wicked upper respiratory infection that is hanging on and dragging me down.  Yesterday, I fixed myself a can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup for breakfast and it was so very comforting but not very good for me.  I also had a few medicinal lemon Italian ices.

What do eat that is healthy and sleeve friendly when you are sick?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/14/16 10:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I drink a lot of chicken broth when I'm not feeling well! The garlic certainly doesn't hurt, it tastes good, and it feels good on a sore throat too.  Sugar-free popsicles are great, too, lower in sugar than Italian ice (if you can't find SF versions).

One of my favorite things, though, is to get a bottle of eucalyptus essential oil and sprinkle some of it in the bottom of the bathtub, then run a hot shower. The steam works into your lungs and feels REALLY good!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

missc_26
on 11/14/16 12:44 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Great suggestion about using eucalyptus oil I'm going to try that next time I'm in need

Donna L.
on 11/14/16 3:21 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you want to make sugar free italian ice, freeze crystal light lemonade into cubes, toss in a blender to whir.  Not quite the same, but pretty close :)

Honestly, I have never found anything that works better than generic sudafed for respirtory congestion.  That plus mucinex makes me a functional human being.  The NyQuil and other crap never works.  Aleve Cold and Sinus is worth its weight in gold.

I actually buy light juices when I'm sick so I don't get derailed by a case of The Lazies.  I also will make beef stew without grains or noodles and puree it, then eat it with a dollop of full-fat greek yogurt. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Oneillch
on 11/14/16 5:38 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

When I'm sick, nothing goes down or feels better than homemade chicken soup with veggies & shredded chicken. Second to that is green tea (regular or decaf) with a shot of Torani sf peppermint syrup. Feel better!

Most Active
Recent Topics