Need Help!

lorylight
on 11/13/16 11:25 am
VSG on 11/07/16

Trying to get down protein drink been working on it a couple hours. I'm scared I'll hurt my new pouch because I can't tell if I'm full or not and I'm scared I might over do it. Is there a certain amount you might drink and stop at that point or continue over a certain amount of time. Sorry just feeling really unsure of myself right now. Thank you for any advice!

HW 299, SW 276.4

Donna L.
on 11/13/16 11:27 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you just had surgery, sip slowly and be patient.  I think I waited 15-20 seconds between sips.  I set a timer on my phone so I'd not get dehydrated.  There's no way that will damage your stomach.  Just take it easy and be patient with yourself.  Drinking will be a full time job for a short while.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

lorylight
on 11/13/16 11:55 am
VSG on 11/07/16

LOL, that's exactly how I feel full-time job!  Thank you for replying to my post.

HW 299, SW 276.4

AK_Gipson
on 11/13/16 11:55 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I put a timer on my phone. Every 3 minutes, sip, reset timer. 3 minutes is plenty of time for a sip to go through your pouch, even with the swelling right now. Remember sip, not gulps :) 

timer gets annoying after awhile, but I never got dehydrated 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

diane S.
on 11/13/16 12:21 pm

mix a protein drink and pour two ounces in a small glass. put the rest in the refrigerator. drink that little bit over 10 minutes or so or whatever is comfortable.  then pour another two ounces and repeat. your sleeve will let you know if you overdo it.   gl  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

lorylight
on 11/13/16 4:31 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Thank you. That's a very good idea : )

HW 299, SW 276.4

diane S.
on 11/13/16 5:15 pm

I hated the protein drinks but they went down better if icy cold. thats why i did this. also used a fancy stemmed glass and dusted the rim with cinnamon.  This was nearly 7 years ago. I am still pretty close to goal weight.  get your protein in.  it will help keep your hair too.  diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Pams-A-Changing
on 11/13/16 6:12 pm
VSG on 08/17/16

My first 2 weeks post op I was supposed to alternate 1 oz of protein drink and 1 oz of water every 15 minutes.  It would take several sips for each oz.  It was definitely a full time job keeping up with this but it did keep me from getting dehydrated and I got my protein in.  

Keep up the good work!

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

MsNikki318
on 11/13/16 7:13 pm - Bastrop, LA, LA
VSG on 10/28/16

Hi, I am also a newbie. day 15. My doctor told me 2 oz every 20mins thru out the day. So I bought 2 oz condiment cups off amazon and just fill a few of them up and chill them,for my water or Powerade. And I make my shake and just pour it into the cups and I drink mine warm like hot cocoa and just drink them like that. I am able to get 6 oz down at time now. I'm recovering from a stomach bug one of my children graciously brought home from school-ugh,the worst, I totally panicked!

So I'm restarting back at 2 oz at a time for the next few days until I can move ahead.

I too am not feeling that "full" feeling I have read about. However, I know when I'm satisfied and I am training myself instead of taking one more sip,I stop there. I have found that "one" more sip makes me sick. 

I have been cleared for soft foods,but with the bug,that was not happening!

I ate baked catfish today a small piece 1/2 a filet and 1/2 small boiled white potatoe. 

Hang in there! It does make me anxious, I read a person ate too much during recovery and blew out their pouch so that totally freaked me out. 

Then I was worried about too much weight loss during these 6 week recovering. But a wonderful OH member assured me every body is different and the weight will come off as it is supposed to. 

So I'm enjoying the little loss,BC soo soon it will be goal weight and the real challenge will begin. When the compliments end and it life long maintenance!

Best wishes, from a proud newbie.

Most Active
Recent Topics