Newbie Here! Just Saying Hello!

Shawney1
on 11/11/16 11:24 am

Hi there!

I'm new to the site and wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone! I'm currently on track to having the vsg surgery, but I have yet to get a surgery date. I'm starting to get a little discouraged, but I know things are moving along. Just getting a little anxious.....So, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about how long it generally takes to get a surgery date from start to finish.....I've came a long way thus far and would hate to give up now.....Thanks for listening to me vent. 

AK_Gipson
on 11/11/16 11:38 am
VSG on 04/14/14

I had to do a 6 month medically supervised diet. Plus all the other hoops that insurance made me jump though. Once I finished the diet, and faxed in all the forms from various doctors to my surgeon. It took about a month to get a date. But that was also not quite right, because they submitted for the RNY and had to resubmit for the VSG.

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Fel
on 11/11/16 12:01 pm

Hi, there I'm new to this to. I had to wait for 7 month insurances had me dong a lot , before it got approved. And then it didn't take long to get a surgery date after that. But be patient and just read about the Phase 1 is liquids for 2weeks, my suggestion is to right down what your going to go buy before surgery and you will be set. That give you at least some motivation.  Good look on your journey on being healthier

JazzyNava
on 11/11/16 12:01 pm
VSG on 11/21/16

Hi, for me the process took 9 months. This is counting an internal mistake my primary doctor did by sending me thru the wrong doctor for 6 months. Hang in there one thing that I would recommend confirm that you have the right doctor and that he is covered thru your insurance. Then follow up once or twice a week to keep the people working on your future surgery process on their toes.

Shawney1
on 11/11/16 1:47 pm

Thank you! Will do!

Joshua H.
on 11/11/16 12:06 pm
VSG on 10/26/16

112 days from attending the surgeon's seminar to surgery.

Shawney1
on 11/11/16 12:09 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it! The long process just gets very discouraging......I'm sure everyone feels or felt that way at one time or another. I had my second one on one with my surgeon yesterday, but he didn't go over any of my results from the other steps that I've already taken. (Psych, thyroid, sleep apnea testing, etc...). I think my appt lasted about 10 minutes. We went over my meal logs and he gave me another date to come back and see him in a month.....I asked the girl at the front desk if all is going according to plan with my insurance and if they've received all of the results from my other appts. She told me yes all is well and if there was an issue, they'd definitely let me know. I'm just curious where I am with everything.......Do you think I should contact my office again or go directly to my insurance company, or should I just continue with my meal logs, exercise and watching what I eat until my next appt next month??

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/12/16 6:36 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Hi & Welcome to the boards! Continue with what you're doing but find out what your ins policy requires for you get approved for wls. There can be a lot of red tape & hoops to jump thru. You should know what is going on.

My ins required a 4 month Dr supervised diet, along with a letter from my pcp recommending wls, along with various tests. At your next appt go over what the game plan is & the timeframe.

Good Luck to you. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Secrets224
on 11/11/16 12:53 pm
VSG on 09/27/16

Hi and WELCOME! Don't get discouraged. Everyone's insurances are different depending on where you live and what kind of requirements insurance or the surgeons have. I had my initial consultation and i was scheduled for surgery exactly 3 months out from there. Although my insurance had no pre-required clearance, my surgeon required that I had to complete several clearances: Psych eval, Pulmonary eval, Cardiology eval, Gastroenterologist Eval and Endoscopy, 2 nutrition classes and attend a Support Group meeting. Once i finished those, i was able to move forward with my surgery. (Mine was postponed from the 3 months mark because i was found to have a stomach infection that had to be treated)... but after all was said and done, it was 4 & 1/2 months from initial consult through surgery. :) Good luck! You will find alot of supportive people on here! Good Luck!!! 

Surg. Date: 9/27/2016 VSG

HW: 334 * SW: 312 * CW: 188* GW: 175

*Mommy of 2 BEAUTIFUL little girls who make my life go round*

Shawney1
on 11/11/16 1:00 pm

Thank you so much for your reply Secrets224. I really appreciate it! I guess I just wish i had more insight into what stage I'm at or whats going on.....but I'm going to continue to be patient.

Most Active
Recent Topics