Phase 1 Question

craftgirl324
on 11/10/16 2:12 pm
VSG on 10/28/16

Hi all,

My surgery was two weeks ago tomorrow. Over the past few days, I've had a bad taste in my mouth and nothing seems to help. I had my checkup yesterday and the surgeon said that it's normal, my body is in ketosis. The problem is that everything tastes bad to me and I'm kind of nauseated. Will this go away when I get to phase two this weekend? Did any of you have this problem and, if so, how long did it take for it to go away?

Overall, I can't complain -- everything has gone as well as possible -- but the past few days have been a little yucky.

Thanks!

cappy11448
on 11/10/16 2:29 pm

I don't remember a bad taste, but I did go thru a time when I just didn't want to eat anything.  the thought of any food made me queasy.  It lasted a few weeks.  I could always hold my food down, it was just the thought of eating that didn't appeal. 

I suspect it will pass fairly quickly

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

craftgirl324
on 11/10/16 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/28/16

Thank you, Carol! And congratulations on your success!

Anita
on 11/10/16 7:28 pm

I had that....everything tasted really bad in the beginning....even water. It passes ... I just can't recall when it happened, but all of a sudden things started tasting normal again. It wasn't long. These days if I don't have enough fluid in, my mouth tastes like the army marched through and walked all over my tongue and teeth - not exactly the best feeling. I have always been a big water drinker, so 64 oz a day hasn't been a problem, but if I get a late start in the day and I get to the late afternoon with only about 30 oz in, that's when the army feeling comes on.

All in all, your body is going through lots of changes and will take a bit to normalize again. I kept breath spray handy and when possible I brushed my teeth a few extra times a day. All in all though, don't let it worry you over much as it will pass.

Congrats on the surgery, best of everything on your journey and welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

craftgirl324
on 11/11/16 6:23 am
VSG on 10/28/16

Thank you, Anita! This is so helpful. I'm feeling a little better today, but I've been having trouble getting in enough fluids the past few days. I'm glad to hear this is just a phase - I was pretty sure, but I just needed a little reassurance. I hope it doesn't last long!

Jevelynne
on 11/11/16 8:58 am
VSG on 10/26/15

Right after surgery for me water tasted HORRIBLE!  Metally, gross!  It was just not good... I too, do not remember when it changed, but it was not a super long time at all..  I had to make sure my water was ice ice cold or I couldn't even get it down.. So try different tricks to see if anything helps.  Make things hotter, colder, add crushed ice, etc!  It will pass. Just hang on.

HW: 299   SW: 277.2   VSG: 10-26-2015  Dr. Brian Gluck
Dr Goal Weight : 182.5 Hit Dr Goal 7-23-16
New Goal Weight: 170

craftgirl324
on 11/11/16 9:22 am
VSG on 10/28/16

Thanks so much, Jevelynne! Good tip about the ice. I'll try that. 

Congratulations on your success! :)

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/16 10:24 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I am 11 days post op and I can totally relate.  Yes, I too have a weird taste in my mouth. I couldn't handle water or any kind of sweet drink for days except for Light Lemonade 15.  Nausea was awful but finally today I feel better.  The only things that taste good to me are Unjury chicken soup, light lemonade, oikos zero, and broth from chicken noodle soup.  I had a couple of protein shakes, Premier Protein, and I could barely get them down.  I can handle ice water finally. Hang in there, you are not alone. 

craftgirl324
on 11/11/16 10:47 am
VSG on 10/28/16

Thanks! My surgeon has his patients do two weeks in phase one (clear liquids), so I haven't had any yogurt or regular soups yet. I'm having my first Premier Protein today, and it's going down ok, although I'm still working on it and I started it 4.5 hours ago! It feels so thick!

Tomorrow I will start on some yogurt and maybe an egg.

We are basically at the same point in our journey -- so glad you're doing well!

JazzyNava
on 11/11/16 12:06 pm
VSG on 11/21/16

Question how long were you on your liquid diet prior to surgery. I had one more question what it the feeling in your stomach after surgery if you could describe it?

Most Active
Recent Topics