Nausea every time I drink something ... Is there something wrong with me???

Kudzu
on 11/7/16 5:01 am
VSG on 07/28/16

My surgery threw this menopausal woman into having 3 back to back cycles again that were around 21 days apart. It definitely jacked up my hormones again. Always consult with your doctor if you have anything unusual going on or just simple questions. I hope it resolves soon. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/16 8:07 am
VSG on 10/31/16

I am 7 days out but I would contact your doctor's office with your concerns.  Hoping you get answers soon.  

AK_Gipson
on 11/7/16 10:21 am
VSG on 04/14/14

Here is an oversimplification.... Estrogen is stored in fat cells. Surgery makes us lose these fat cells very rapidly. Your body can't process all the extra hormones. So you get a hormone overload. Spotting, heavy or more frequent periods, etc... Your lucky, My body thought I was pregnant and I was nauseous and couldn't handle smells just like when I really was pregnant lol 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Coppergirl
on 11/7/16 8:12 am

I find I get nauseous and cramps if I drink water on an empty stomach and I have not taken my anti-acid medicine. I think it might be that throwing cold water on top of the stomach acid stirs it up. I have found that if I follow the suggestion above of drinking warm fluids or flavored water that is not too cold between meals that it is MUCH, MUCH better. I was really worried the first few weeks out that I would never drink water again.

Take it slow, try some warmer, sugar-free drinks, be sure you are not skipping any meals, and give yourself some time to heal.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Started this journey 6/6/16 - 246.8lbs. SW 214 - 9/6/16 VSG. CW - 158. (9/15/17) Post VSG M1- 20, M2- 8.4 M3- 6.6 M4- 8 M5- 3.6 M6-5.8 M7- 1.5 M8- 1.5 GOAL - 142.

Never waste a second chance!!

emelar
on 11/7/16 11:48 am - TX

Most bottled waters are more acidic than tap water, and can cause stomach upset.  Fiji and Evian are two that are more alkaline and go down easier.  Or, as you've discovered, put some flavoring in it like Crystal Light.  Or change temperatures.  But call your surgeon's office if it's causing you any concern.  That's what they're there for!

Donna L.
on 11/7/16 9:37 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had nausea (mild) while drinking anything that wasn't room temperature or warmer.  I also could absolutely not tolerate plain water.

And yep, we get crazy hormone releases.  Fat is basically the body's safe deposit box for anything attracted to it.  This includes hormones, certain medications, and vitamins.  I have Norplant and even with it, I got the absolute worst periods the two months after my surgery.  I had a 49 day period.  I was perhaps stubborn and waited to see the gynecologist.

I also had horrifyingly scary mood swings, which I had never experienced.  They were exacerbated by my addled noggin, no doubt.  The gynecologist said I effectively was experiencing severe post partum symptoms.  I have not had children and I must say if that is the case, many props to you, moms of the world!  Thankfully a temporary high dose of progesterone fixed it.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 11/8/16 5:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Try different temperatures of drink to see if that makes a difference...different flavors too. Peppermint tea worked wonders for me when I was healing, and Grandma's tummy mint tea.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

diane S.
on 11/13/16 11:01 am

Hope you are feeling better. For some of us tea goes down easier than water and try warm drinks instead of cold. My surgeon gave me an anti nausea med for post op which I didn't need but you might ask for one if you are still having trouble. Diane S.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics