Can we please talk antidepressants

DakotaCJ
on 10/30/16 5:21 am

Hi Maandme!

I have had many different antidepressants through the years for fathers death, anxiety, mild depression, to menopause. They all act differently and really are more specific to the individual (IMHO). Weight gain can be a side effect but the reality is it may be a change in habits and/or a short term reaction. That said, I was pretty objective about Paxil and that did seem to lower my metabolism.

If you find that any side effect (weight, libido, sleeping, etc) is impacting you in a negative way you should switch to another kind. It really is a science and thank goodness they have more hyperfocused medicines than when I was young.

Be your own advocate and you'll be fine. Let me know if this helped or I could answer anything.

Best

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/16 5:46 am

thank you, I would like to PM you when I get home from church

DakotaCJ
on 10/30/16 5:54 am

:)

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/16 12:15 pm

omg I typed a message 2x and lost it to a message that said "are you a robot". ugh will try later lol

Donna L.
on 10/30/16 9:45 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It depends on the antidepressants.  Do you mean SSRI medications?  Some change metabolism, but most stimulate appetite, actually, which is what causes it.  Some are known for causing lots of weight gain.  Additionally, sometimes antipsychotics are prescribed for people with depression (Seroquel is one) and these are well-known for causing weight gain and raising blood sugar.  Again, it depends on the medication you refer to.  Others, such as Wellbutrin (not an SSRI) have a stimulant-like effect and suppress appetite.

I take Cymbalta for major depressive disorder, and I have never had an issue with weight gain.  Some of the newer drugs also do not cause this.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/16 11:38 am

thank you, yes I mean SSRi's.

Donna L.
on 10/30/16 1:22 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

My advice is to see a psychiatrist for psych meds, and explain you had weight loss surgery and specifically need meds that do not cause weight gain or stimulate appetite.  There are some very good options for us.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics