An Old Timer Here...Going on 8 Years Out...

lann08
on 10/26/16 8:56 am, edited 10/26/16 6:20 pm - VA

It is hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that I am going on my 8 year surgiversary. I remember in the months prior and immediately after surgery, I spent hours on this forum. The posts that I was most interested in were from the old timers...people far out from the surgery and desperate for knowledge about their experiences. I wanted to avoid pitfalls and be a success...not just for the short term but for the long term. Was I? Absolutely! 7+ years out and I have remained at my goal weight...fluctuating within just a few pounds. Has it been easy? No. The first month I was convinced I had made a horrible mistake. At around the five year mark, I had a weight gain of around 10 pounds but returned to basics, cleaned up my diet and I returned to my goal weight. When I say that maintenance is more difficult than losing, I do not in any way mean that it is terribly hard. It requires diligence. I occasionally indulge in sweets but it isn't an every day thing. I do not deprive myself. I eat like anyone else who is trying to eat healthy. My restriction is still very very good and I was one of the people that got a 40 bougie. I was terrified I would fail with a larger sleeve. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want less restriction. I eat very small, frequent, protein-based meals. I'm hit and miss with my exercise. The key to success is truly being diligent about the simple carbs...keep sugar at an absolute minimum. I still have the occasional cookie, piece of cake, ice cream, etc but the difference now and prior to surgery is that it isn't a daily indulgence. To be honest, I had a horrible sweet tooth prior to surgery and ate embarrassingly large amounts of candy bars, cookies, etc. I loved bread and pasta. I still eat those things but that is a very rare treat. Do I miss those things? Occasionally but what I gave up with those things I do NOT miss. I don't miss being morbidly obese and all the things that come with it...all the physical, psychological, emotional baggage. I LOVE the life I have now. I LOVE this smaller, healthier body that isn't buried in layers and layers of fat. I did not change with the weightloss. I only discovered the real me under all the weight and I love the real me. I only wish I had done this years before. My success has prompted my sister and brother to have the same surgery. They are both now at healthy weights...one at 3 years out and the other at nearly 2. They are both thrilled with their results. If you're undecided about this surgery, please don't be. The only regret you will have is not having done it sooner. I lost 125 lbs. Here's the before and after...

Before...I wasn't even at my heaviest in this pic...

After...

diane S.
on 10/26/16 11:08 am

Fabulous post. Wonderful pictures. Congrats, winner.  Diane S (approaching 7 years)

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

cappy11448
on 10/26/16 12:10 pm

This is a wonderful post and so inspiring. You look fabulous.

I am 3.5 years post op and I'm maintaining  within a few pounds of goal, too. 

I agree with everything you said.  It takes diligence.  It is possible, but not easy.  I am so happy I had weight loss surgery, and its great to see someone doing so well 8 years post surgery.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

heidikat72
on 10/26/16 1:58 pm - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

Fantastic post! It's great to hear from someone who truly made a life change. Very inspiring.

jrog22
on 10/26/16 2:36 pm
VSG on 08/20/16

You are definitely winning.  Awesome post!

HW 450, CW 358 (November 26, 2016) Surgery Date 9/26/2016

Tempestt
on 10/26/16 4:15 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

Thank you for posting.  You look terrific.  I'm only 7 weeks out and it's lovely to hear someone that far out with such success.  

Sleeve September 7, 2016

5' 3"; Highest Weight/Program Start Weight: 256.6 lbs.; Surgery Weight: 214.6 lbs. Goal Weight: 145

"A year from now you will wish you started today." - Karen Lamb

happyteacher
on 10/26/16 5:17 pm

Gorgeous pics there! Love to see that you are still on track at the 8 year mark! I agree about the size sleeve- I am also up in the 40s and am very grateful it is not smaller. Just the right size for me. Don't be a stranger!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

zann50
on 10/27/16 4:27 am

Great post!  Thank you for sharing.  You look wonderful and it is so inspirational to see a VSG pt post eight years describing the maintenance lifestyle that works for them.

To your continued success!

bridgesg
on 10/27/16 2:06 pm

You look fabulous!!  I'm a year out from my surgery and have lost 70 lbs. and seemed to be stuck.  Please help me when it come to grazing. I don't eat much at one time but I can graze really bad.  Any advice and help on what I can do to stop this habit. 

Smallbites2015
on 10/27/16 4:19 pm

Thank you so much for posting. You are so pretty.  I'm struggling to get to goal.  Seem to sidetrack myself everyday 

Most Active
Recent Topics