Stabbing pain - anyone relate or have insight?

missc_26
on 10/22/16 6:41 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi all

I had VSG 3 weeks ago and today at the park with my dogs my partner handed me the ball thrower to hold on to. On autopilot I used it and threw the ball with my right hand. Immediately after I got a stabbing pain in my left side about an inch from where my port scar is and then going up to under the top of my left rib cage.

The stabbing pains are coming and going depending on how I move and I'm terrified I've accidentally done something to damage my healing stomach. I've otherwise been doing well.

I'm posting because it is a long weekend here (nothing is open until Tuesday) and I'm hoping for some others that may have experienced something similar or have some insight into what I might have done... or just some reassuring words. I do already have my follow up with surgeon on Weds thank goodness!

Really appreciate your feedback.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/16 7:11 pm
missc_26
on 10/22/16 7:22 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi thanks for the response. Yeah I will if it doesn't ease off over the next few hours. I struggle to get around so will contact a relative to see if they can take me later on. I worry I'm just being paranoid but better to be safe than sorry. Feel like an idiot it was such a mindless thing to do!

missc_26
on 10/22/16 7:22 pm
VSG on 10/03/16
Donna L.
on 10/23/16 7:12 am, edited 10/23/16 12:12 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It could be many things, even just a pulled internal stitch.   It's impossible to tell online, though, sadly.  I would call your surgeon's office directly and ask if you should go to the ER.  If the pain is so bad you cannot move then I'd go immediately, but if you're fine other than twinging, you may not need to worry too much.  Most surgeons have emergency paging though, so you might be able to get an answer.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Pams-A-Changing
on 10/23/16 11:12 am
VSG on 08/17/16

I actually experienced something similar about 3 weeks out and was also concerned I had done some damage.  It turns out I was okay and had stopped taking my pain meds too soon, and the sharp pain was nerves healing.  The sharp pain lasted on and off for several weeks.   That being said, check with surgeon as it may be different for you, but I do remember that feeling of fear that something more was wrong.  If it gets too bad by Tuesday, your doctor's office should have an emergency number to contact them.   Good luck and follow up to let us know how you are!

HW  326

SW  310

CW  252

missc_26
on 10/23/16 1:44 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Thanks so much for responding, I feel reassured that someone else has had a similar experience and understands the fear it incites. It is still tender but the stabbing pain has dulled thank goodness. I will definitely be checking with my surgeon as soon as everything opens this week (of course it only occurs on a holiday weekend!)

Once again thanks for taking the time to respond, each person that does helps remind another OH person they are not alone in what is often a lonely (scary) journey.

Cheers, 

C

Most Active
Recent Topics