Been Stuck for WAY Too Long!!

happyteacher
on 10/18/16 3:20 pm

Ya' know I just learned whey stimulates insulin? Crazy that even this far out I still learn stuff. Makes sense. A protein shake first thing in the morning makes my blood sugar drop. Weird, as it should in theory go up given the protein. It is different for me though, as apparently a protein shake does satiate me and hold me well until the next meal. The added bonus is that if I have 2 a day for 3 consecutive days, my restriction is just crazy strong further helping during periods that I have struggled a bit. But, each person needs to find what works for them.

I recently switched over to an organic protein shake. Maybe it is just in my head, but it doesn't seem to hold me over as well as the premier RTD variety. I do mix it in coffee though for breakfast, and drink a lot of coffee so likely just pushing it through. With the premier, I normally have coffee. drive into work then have the shake. No coffee after the shake. Even when I add the protein to the last of the morning coffee though, same thing- it will hold me over, but I notice that I am watching the clock waiting for lunch. With the other, many times I am so busy I just skip lunch or sip on another shake in the afternoon. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/16 4:07 pm

That's how I found out about the whey and insulin - I was getting RH after a low fat high quality protein shake. 

the premier - I think has a mix of whey isolate, concentrate and caseinate - they are digested and assimilated at different rates - and they cause a differential release rate. 

the purer the shake -and if they company adds some digestive enzymes for a quick assimilation - the faster they get absorbed and would cause bigger BS drop over time..

most food cause insulin release - google food insulin index. 

How you process the food - may also cause faster - slower absorption and different insulin spike. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 10/19/16 5:44 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is a big difference in digestion speeds for whey, casein and egg proteins. Whey is definitely the fastest, with a big spike up, then down. Casein spikes lower, and stays higher for much longer than whey.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sou rces-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html/

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 10/19/16 4:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This is no plateau.  You're honeymoon is officially over, so losing without trying is done.  Now the real work begins, and the advice for dense proteins and low carb i spot on.  Yeah, you may lose a little more doing just shakes, but you already know how they make you feel.  Finding a way to live and eat for real is the key to your long-term success.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics